death wobble - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section

death wobble

Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 AM   #1

Exclamation death wobble

i recently put a 6" lift on my 92 f150 xlt and put a set of 35/12.50/R15s on it and im working on finishing the rest of the truck. but ive run into a bad case of the wobbles. every time i hit a bump or go around a kind of a sharper curve or hit a bump while im turning, going over maybe 20mph it will almost shake you out of the seat and it is pretty scary. im afraid my tire will come off if it keeps happening. ive tightened spindle nuts, new tie rods, and every bushing on my frond end is by moog and theyre all greased and everything is tight. i cannot for the life of me figure out why this happens but it scares me senseless every time, i just put the lift on it and i dont wanna loose a tire. maybe my tie rods arent strong enough to handle the weight of such a big tire? both my tires will wobble over a bump but the going around the curve part is when it does it worst and its the drivers sidde mostly that you can feel it in. can anybody give me some info on what i can do to fix this?
Dylan Mclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Head to some jeep boards for ideas? I know that they fight this periodically. IIRC it usually has to do with the steering box and some remedy it by installing a steering dampener. Don't take my word for that though.
Telamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #3

Death wobble is almost always the result of too much positive caster. In the case of the TTB trucks, the cure is eccentric ball joints. Often the problem comes from the lift kit manufacturer not adequately dropping the radius arm brackets to equal the amount of lift or not providing an adequately offset replacement arm.
PerryB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PerryB For This Useful Post:
Apples (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
Death wobble is almost always the result of too much positive caster. In the case of the TTB trucks, the cure is eccentric ball joints. Often the problem comes from the lift kit manufacturer not adequately dropping the radius arm brackets to equal the amount of lift or not providing an adequately offset replacement arm.
i have the extended radius arm brackets, i also have the extended pivet arm brackets. I dont have my sway bars on, but i dont think that would effect wheel wobble cause they control the truck from rolling around a curve. When i bought the lift it didnt come with the extended mounts for them so i didnt bother with it for a while. I did have to go to the rough country factory and pick up the extra shocks because mine has qaud shocks. Ive been under it in the past month or two and tightened all my brackets, ive put brand new tie rods on it. New spindle bearings, everything, and i still cant control my wheel wobble.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

are you sure your wheels are wobbling and it isnt just your cab/frame wobbling side to side. since the sway bar (also known as anti sway bar, and roll bar) is to keep the truck from rocking back and forth.
Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Mark

Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,303 Posts

I would put the sway bar back on it and get it Aligned again.. if you had not yet.
techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

This is just a shared experience and may have nothing in common with the TTB truck in this post, but....

I used to drive tow truck for AAA. In the early 90's we were running the original F-Superduties. I think the actual model number was F-473. Anyway they were 2WD/straight axle trucks and developed horrible cases of Death Wobble once they got 40-50K miles on them. One of the first things that would happen during a violent episode was the sway bar brackets would break and of course we would immediately replace them. One Saturday I broke a bracket and could not get a replacement nor had a backup truck available. The broken bracket caused a rattle so I removed the bar and figured I would just take my chances. Guess what? The occurrence rate dropped dramatically. We ended up pulling the sway bars on all the trucks, adding heavy duty steering stabilizers and increasing our front tire replacement schedule. Never completely solved the problem but mitigated it substantially. Towards the end of our owning these trucks, our local dealer finally admitted that the caster needed to be near the bottom of the spec range to prevent the problem, which I had been advocating all along. I think the range was -2 to +2. Anything above about zero would wobble. We ended up "solving" the problem by switching to International 4700's with 7.3 turbos. That was a real truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to PerryB For This Useful Post:
Apples (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
are you sure your wheels are wobbling and it isnt just your cab/frame wobbling side to side. since the sway bar (also known as anti sway bar, and roll bar) is to keep the truck from rocking back and forth.
every time i hit a bump it will wobble. I was headed to town early yesterday and theres just a random speed bump on my road, out of city limits just some random speed bump, dont know why, but its there. I hit it going maybe 15 or 20. Not too fast cause its small one probably no bigger than 2 or 3 inches tall. And it shook my truck around the road. I have to stop the truck completely just to stop the wobbling. It shakes its not just sways or the cab or bed moving like not having the sway bar would make it do, its a very violent kick in the ***** pretty much. Kind of like throwing a rubber ball in 5 gallon bucket and rattling around in there, its pretty voilent. Im sure the sway bar could help it a hair. my sway bar mount is under the coil spring. But its my wheels wobbling. It does just fine going 55 down the bypass. But old bumpy roads not so great.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

If you have the death wobble, it's no fun. I had it on an 06 Ram Megacab....scary stuff. I don't think some of the guys responding are familiar with the death wobble. If you don't know what it is, YouTube it....the tires slap around just like the front wheels of a cheap shopping cart. There are a couple of good videos about the how to solve it. Steering stabilizers are a bandaid, you need to fix the root cause.

To see what it is, search this video on youtube (I'm pretty sure this one shows it, I'm at work and youtube is blocked...so I'm going by memory here): Jeep Death Wobble Experiment - Extreme Shaking!

Do some more digging. You'll find it, I did, but I frankly don't recall what it was.
Kingofwylietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx View Post
If you have the death wobble, it's no fun. I had it on an 06 Ram Megacab....scary stuff. I don't think some of the guys responding are familiar with the death wobble.
That's for sure. The first time it happens to you, it's a mind and vocabulary expanding experience.