Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Death Valley Nov 25-27: Wanna come?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Death Valley Nov 25-27: Wanna come?

Hey guys. I've been working on a 3 day 2 night Death Valley trip that takes us over some of the best of what that incredible park has to offer. I've tried very hard to select a route that is "daily driver 4x4 friendly". I drive my Raptor to work every day, so I understand needing it 'in the morning'

With that in mind, a small group and I ran this route last weekend and had an awesome time. You can read all about that trip by clicking here.

This is probably my favorite pic from the trip; it was taken in Titus Canyon. Don't they look like toys?

And now that we know the route is indeed Raptor and daily driver 4x4 friendly, I'd like to invite you to join us! I've got a planning thread already under way, and you can find it by clicking here. Please click on over and if you're interested in joining please follow those instructions and we'll go from there. I figure we can support around 10 total trucks plus or minus so if you do want in, please let us know soon so we can save you a spot.

And even if you can't make it this time, please feel free to save the route as linked to in that thread above and enjoy it on your schedule! DV is a national treasure everyone should enjoy at least once, and I'm happy to be able to provide a 'daily driver 4x4' verified route to help you do so.

PS: Thank you very much to the F150Forum.com staff for supporting our efforts on this, and helping to bring it to you!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Supported!!!

Oh man. I wish I was closer... and had a vehicle that was offroad capable. LOL.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Bumping it up. We've got 8 trucks so far joining for everything from all three days, to just joining for a single day. Any all all are welcome! Just let me know if you can make it, and I'll update the list and get you the pertinent details.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM
2010 FX4

I'm going Nov 15-18, 2011. I'll read your posts on svtoffroad. Any advice other than what I'll find on that thread?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Hey Cal. Awesome! Are you going solo or with a group? Also which rig do you plan to take?

I ask because there were maybe 5 spots total over Goler and Mengel where a spotter was a really good thing. You can certainly do it by yourself, but being a relative rookie myself I was glad to have someone else to guide me over the more tricky spots.

Also, keep your eye on the weather. Day three takes you thru Hidden Valley and over Hunter Mountain; you'll summit over 7100ft. If its been wet you're in for a hell of a climb, and if its been snowing you're going to need chains for sure. In fact as I say on SVTO, I don't plan to take us up there if its wet or snowing. We'll bail out back thru Racetrack and Ubehebe, and avoid going over that mountain. Too many sheer drops not to have four solid on the floor, if ya know what I mean.

Otherwise, I think you'll love it! I'm pretty proud of the route we've put together since it really does hit much of the best of what DV has to offer. Definitely plan to get out and see things too; much of the fun of this sort of trip is experienced on two feet, not just behind the wheel.

Enjoy and by all means please ask any/all questions you have. And when you get back I'd love to read how it went and what you thought. Have fun!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
2010 FX4

We went alone, and to sum up the trip in one word: awesome! I regret not making the trip much longer. I posted three pictures of Titus Canyon and one picture of Harry Wade Road.

Day one: we arrived later than planned and camped at Stovepipe Wells. They have running water and a gas station. I brought extra fuel and about 30 gallons of water because I was not expecting to camp at a nice campground. It's $12 a night, and gas was $4.37 per gallon. We went up Marble Canyon. It was horrible. The road was very bumpy, and overall boring.

Day 2: we drove to the Nevada border where the Titus Canyon entrance is. It is a one-way trail. You can do the whole thing in 2wd unless the rain messes up the road. This was the most beautiful place I have ever been. Totally amazing. After that we went to Darwin Falls. We didn't actually go to the waterfall, but we drove around those trails for a few hours. I had to actually use 4wd here, and it was pretty fun. It was steep, but not too technical.

Day 3: We kept to the paved roads and saw Artists Palette, Golden Canyon, and Badwater Basin. All very beautiful. To get home we took Harry Wade Road. It was very beautiful and once again we did the whoel trail in 2wd. I aired down the tires for comfort and in case we hit some soft sand. The road was washed out in some places, but not bad enough for 4wd. We took that trail all the way to highway 127.

Unfortunately, that was all we had time for. Next trip we will do Goler and Hidden Valley, but not alone. We will also repeat Titus Canyon. I hear there are wild donkeys, but the only thing we saw was a kangaroo rat.
Attached Thumbnails Death Valley Nov 25-27:  Wanna come?-sdc15015.jpg   Death Valley Nov 25-27:  Wanna come?-sdc15037.jpg   Death Valley Nov 25-27:  Wanna come?-sdc15023.jpg   Death Valley Nov 25-27:  Wanna come?-sdc15122.jpg   Death Valley Nov 25-27:  Wanna come?-sdc15065.jpg  

Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Beautiful! We're gearing up now and really excited to head out this weekend. Ya sure you can't join?

How cold was it out there? I'm expecting temps in the low 30s. Sound about right?

PS: We saw tons of donkey's when out there. You've got to be really eagle eyed since they blend in so well with the terrain. My wife's the one who actually saw 'em first. If it were just me I'd have totally missed them.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM
2010 FX4

75 during the day and 45 at night, but we were at sea level. I'm on vacation and I would love to go, but we will be visiting my parents. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me go and convince my dad to come with me.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Would love to have ya chad. Just let me know.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 AM
2010 FX4

I couldn't make it. How was the trip?

Quick Reply: Death Valley Nov 25-27: Wanna come?