Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Custom bumpers causing front end damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom bumpers causing front end damage?

Im looking at installing a custom bumper on my 2007 f150. Haven't found anything exact but looking for something like the fab four winch bumper with pre runner guard. Anyone with setups like this including the winch installed have any issues with front end damage from the extra weight or opinions?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not exactly damage, but the added weight can pull the nose down considerably.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by dbhost
Not exactly damage, but the added weight can pull the nose down considerably.
Okay well I went to go buy one and was told buy a family member not to cause he knows several ppl who have and have done a considerable amount of damage on their front end. Just wondering if thats a old person view and talking like they do or if others are actually having issues with their front end because of the weight.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had a replacement bumper on my truck for 2 years now without any problems, my truck is a 2011. It did pull the front down some, but have not had any problems.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what sort of problems a bumper could cause... There is a very, very slight possibility of slightly increased component wear / stress, although it should be minor at worst and not really worth mentioning. The only issue I can think of that seems all that legit is the extra weight pre loading the springs, pulling the nose down, and potentially causing early spring failure. But if your coil spring is going to fail, it is going to fail... These trucks are kind of known for broken coil springs... Yeah it is a problem, but not a huge problem...
Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my own bumpers but kept in mind that I own a 1/2 ton lol. Just be aware of the trucks limitations. My back one is has heavy as the original and the front one must weigh a bit more but no damage or sag
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I could see them possibly causing more frame damage in a wreck since they don't crumple... then again after a certain amount of impact, I would think that they would help.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 PM

Okay thanks for the input everyone. Its probably just the older generation that doesnt believe in putting a bunch of stuff like that on your truck and why I was informed not to because it will cause front end damage.

Quick Reply: Custom bumpers causing front end damage?