Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Couple more scratches, adds character!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Couple more scratches, adds character!

Had another fun half day at Northwest OHV park with my wife todsy. Got a few more tree branch scratchers, and a little water/mud inside! Next time I'll make sure ahe rolls up her window before i get close to the water and mud pit, lol.
Went up a steeper hill today, got to 28 degrees near the top. It didn't go anywhere, so backed down, but wanted to see if I could make it, abd how steep it was. Truck is supposed to have a 30 degree max, almost got there!

Got up to where the plants start growing just after pic of the gauges below. Never got over 28 tho.

New scratches, not deep, but noticeable

The following users liked this post:
ABF150Fan (05-28-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:02 PM

Here's a better pic if the hill, loos a little steeper from back further.

ABF150Fan (05-28-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow, you really explore the truck’s capabilities! I would not threat my Lariat this way, but one can use is truck the way he/she sees fit.
RobTx (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 PM

Thanks, Nicklaus. Only reason I got 4 wheel drive is to see what it can do, and go try it. I'd be more adventurous if I could gind someone to go with us, if I got stuck, I'd have to either ask for assistance, or try my Hi-Lift jack!
I will say, this truck csn do a lot more than I've tried so far, especially going through mud. I grabbed a stick and kinda measured how deep a few pits were, and figured i could mske it. One was sbout 9 or 10 inches deep, and fairly long, but made it really easily, even with the E-locker off. On rocks I do use it, but may not need too. Still learning! I do have a blast every time I go out there.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

It'll buff out. When this was new I babied it and avoided that good ol' Rocky Mountain pinstriping. Now it's almost 5 years old and I'm tired of towing my jeep around and drive it where I want. I've had tree branches and sagebrush push the mirrors in and screeeeeech down the side, granted the white helps hide it but has made me try numerous products to make it look pretty. Normally I buff twice a year, just detailed by hand instead of breaking out the DA buffer and under artifical light suprisingly there weren't a ton of scratches left, but still a few under certain angles.

RobTx (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 PM

brokemillwright, I may try and buff em out, but I'm too lazy right now. -) My wife didn't like that one time she had the window down, the branches hit the antenna then the side of her face! Luckily it was thinner branches with leaves, not the hard scratchey ones.
ABF150Fan (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Awesome! Glad you're still having fun with it. Yeah, mine is totally pinstriped up. At this point, I barely even bother to try to fix it. Maybe a couple of times a year I'll throw on some black "scratch remover" but for the most part, I just leave it.

As for the mud, yep these trucks do well. Just one tip as you continue your mud fun: Momentum is your friend. You do *not* want to get stuck half-way through a mud-pit. Once you stop in the mud, it's much harder or near impossible to get going again. The best way I've found is turning off Traction Control (as much as it can be turned off) by pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds (this is different than just the quick-press) and turning the rear locking diff on. Then go as fast as is safe through the mud pit without stopping.

The reason you need to turn Traction Control off is because it will apply the brakes to the spinning wheels (no good!) and / or cut engine power (also no good!) right when you need to be going the fastest. You want to keep the wheels spinning and flinging mud out of the treads and keep your forward momentum until you're out of the mud.
RobTx (05-28-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:01 PM

Got some new gear to help if I do get stuck. These worked really, really well in the off road recovery course I took. More $ than most brands, but came with a top tier recommendation from our course instructor. Also used his for a few recoveries, and they performed quite well.
Probably going out Saturday morning early, before a graduation party for a friends kid.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Lol sorry for trolling, tree branches work for me and were e free. Just had to hunt a little lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brokemillwright:
ABF150Fan (06-02-2019), RobTx (05-30-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

Just a couple of months after I graduated from HS back in 1976 I bought this 1968 IH Scout. I paid one months pay in cash for it and about another weeks pay for the wheels/tires. This is what I learned to drive off road. If I totaled it I was out a months pay. And I beat the crap out of it taking it places I'm still amazed about. It had a big block 392 V8 engine, the skid plate went from just behind the front bumper to the rear of the transmission. From frame rail to frame rail. It was slick on the bottom. I used to hit ruts fast enough to just slide over those too deep. The power to size ratio was off the charts. I was always getting called to come pull someone out of a jam. Including one 30,000 lb unloaded 18 wheeler.

No way I'd do anything close to that with a $40,000 truck. Don't get me wrong I still take my F150 into some places where 4X4 is necessary. But I don''t "play" with it.

Anymore if I want to play I drive this. Once again it is about 1 months pay for me.

RobTx (06-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Couple more scratches, adds character!