Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado

I am planning a trip to Colorado with some friends. We are just bringing tents and buying food while there, so we will camp. I've seen countless trails and camp sites on various websites, but I don't know enough to tell which are good. Anyone with some tips on how to plan properly? Also what offroad trails could a stock 4x4 f150 get through? I know they range from completely impassable without a rock crawler to gravel roads, so I need some help.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't have personal experience in CO but here is a good place to start:

https://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
Old 04-01-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

There are a lot of trails along the road between Durango and Ouray, especially between Silverton and Ouray. Lots of abandoned mines back in that country to explore.

We drove my stock Tacoma into Yankee Boy Basin 6 years ago. It wasn't bad, but I could have rented a Jeep and spent the day driving over trails for about the same thing it cost me to repair minor damage. I caught my trailer wiring on a rock and pulled it loose from the bumper. It cost just under $100 to replace it after I got home, I think a Jeep rental was just over $100 at the time.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...e=23207_101916
Old 04-02-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Trail damage website is a good place to start. Last year we did 5 passes in 2 days. Imogene is a great place to start. It's an all-dayer if you want to enjoy yourself. You would do very well to get Charles Wells' book on Colorado trails. Very helpful.

You can do a lot of trails with a stock 4x4. The biggest concern is your tires. Best to have LTs, and you'll definitely want to air down.

This is at Tin Cup along Engineer Pass:

Last edited by STingray1300; 04-02-2017 at 12:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by STingray1300:
elricfate (04-03-2017), overlandFX4 (04-03-2017), Ryan... (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300

That is a beautiful picture showing me exactly why I chose an F150 as a trail runner.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Effin New Guys

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread has inspired me to make the trip out to CO next year. I'm starting to make lists of supplies I'll need and claiming my vacation days

Should give me plenty of time to figure out which trails are F150 friendly!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overlandFX4
I don't have personal experience in CO but here is a good place to start:

https://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
This site is awesome, I've been looking over it for the past few days. I'm still amazed that Texas, being so huge, only has one trail on that site. The best part is that its only a 10 hour drive away from my part of Texas /s

Originally Posted by marshallr
There are a lot of trails along the road between Durango and Ouray, especially between Silverton and Ouray. Lots of abandoned mines back in that country to explore.

We drove my stock Tacoma into Yankee Boy Basin 6 years ago. It wasn't bad, but I could have rented a Jeep and spent the day driving over trails for about the same thing it cost me to repair minor damage. I caught my trailer wiring on a rock and pulled it loose from the bumper. It cost just under $100 to replace it after I got home, I think a Jeep rental was just over $100 at the time.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...e=23207_101916
Was your Tacoma a 4x4? That trail looks very interesting, and I thing my truck would be capable. Thanks for the suggestion on the Jeep rental, but that seems unlikely because I'm <25.

Trail damage website is a good place to start. Last year we did 5 passes in 2 days. Imogene is a great place to start. It's an all-dayer if you want to enjoy yourself. You would do very well to get Charles Wells' book on Colorado trails. Very helpful.

You can do a lot of trails with a stock 4x4. The biggest concern is your tires. Best to have LTs, and you'll definitely want to air down.

I'll definitely look into this. The Nitto Terra GRapplers self define as LTs. Is this what you mean?
Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

]
Sounds like you did the Alpine loop
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Sadly the CO Alpine loop has become unbelievably crowded theses days in season......

Jeeps, side-by-sides, motorcycles, ATV's, any and all 4wd vehicle/trucks......they're all out there and most do not practice trail etiquette and dont understand vehicular right of way rules on steep trails.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Boa Man5
I'll definitely look into this. The Nitto Terra GRapplers self define as LTs. Is this what you mean?
Yes. Make sure to air down (DO get the ARB air down kit - so worth it. And of course, you'll need an good air pump [Viair, ARB, etc...]) Take it slow and obey trail rules. Make sure your tank is full, and be prepared for emergencies (food, tools, maps, gps/Gaia maps app, First Aid kit. If not for yourself, for someone else).

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Sounds like you did the Alpine loop
1/2 of it: Engineer Pass. We headed to Amarillo after getting to Lake City. Cinnamon Pass will be for next time. We chose Engineer because it is much more technical with more "pucker factor"

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
Sadly the CO Alpine loop has become unbelievably crowded theses days in season......

Jeeps, side-by-sides, motorcycles, ATV's, any and all 4wd vehicle/trucks......they're all out there and most do not practice trail etiquette and don't understand vehicular right of way rules on steep trails.
Depends on when you go. We might have counted 6 vehicles all the way from Animas Forks to Lake City. We did it in late September.

We pretty much don't go anywhere during "tourist" season... can't stand crowds.