Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

California to Moab

Old 08-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default California to Moab

Hey guys,

Some friends and I are going in late September to run the White Rim Trail, along with a couple others, in Utah. We are planning on taking a couple days to get out there and do some overlanding in Nevada instead of driving it all at once on the highways.

Does anyone know of good places in Nevada to off-road and camp? We aren't committed to any route, so anything off of highway 80 or 50 would work for us, or even both since we could go a different way on the return trip.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mtns., while a dead end, is breathtaking. (out of Elko) Take CR706/702 to 229, then south to 93 (toward Ely). Out of Ely, take US50 > SR487/21 into Utah. Turn north on 159, and in about 1 mile turn east onto Pine Valley Rd. Follow that to Crystal Mtn, and on to Black Rock. High speed dirt tracking. Old ghost towns. You end up at I/15 just north of the west end of I/70. Easy shot to Moab from there. In Richfield, UT, the Sage Brush Grill is not to be missed for a great dinner!

Or take Utah SR21 south to SR20 (Panguich), and ride that to SR12 (one of the most amazing highways in North America) to Boulder. Turn east onto Burr Trail, arrive into the backdoor of Capitol Reef. *DO* make the effort to find the "Strike Valley Overlook"!!!

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Have a great time!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks man!!

I was actually planning on sending you a PM anyway since you have been so helpful with stuff in the past, but those two spots look really cool. Might have to do them both haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California to Moab