Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Buying a New Setup, Several Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a New Setup, Several Questions

I've got a 04 fx4 with a 3 inch body lift in the front (to level). I plan on buying 20" moto metal wheels (not sure of which one so any pictures would be appreciated) and 37" super swampers. I'm still deciding between the ssr's and the irok's (any input or pictures here would also be appreciated). I will also be getting either a 4" or 6" suspension lift. My biggest question is this: what are the pros and cons of each? and with this new setup will I have to do anything to my transmission, differential, or anything else? Thanks in advance for any advice.

btw, here is the before pic:
Buying a New Setup, Several Questions-dcfn0005.jpg
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM
mmmm.....

that is such a generic question.... try to narrow it down some.

and body lift just the front? huh?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure what it is but that's what the previous owner told me it was. Most likely a leveling kit?
The main question I have is will I need my differential or transmission or anything else modified since I'm going a lot bigger?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

The biggist tire size that we recomend with out running into any troubles is a 35" tire with the 6" lift. It will be more work for your motor and tranny to spin those tires, so more wear and tear. If you re-gear your differential you will take some of that stress off your drivetrain. If you are looking for a place to get the lift just give us a call.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah if you go with 35's you're going to want to upgrade your gears to 4.56's to regain the lost power form lifting and adding larger tires.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Alright thanks for all the input. If I'm understanding correctly then I'll need to modify my differential and transmission everything should be good to go for the new lift (6") and tires (37"). What sort of price range am I looking at for getting the gears upgraded?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a guess, probably around 1000-1500 installed. it could be more, i dont know for sure. it probably will be seeings how youre going to have to do front and rear
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 AM

I like your truck! My truck when it was lifted the front end was wider so I put spacers in the back. Plus fender flares. With your kit your wheels will stick out for sure. Also there was two tranny rebuilds because the tranny is weak. Plus a drive shaft rebuild (wider) plus your top speed will go down.

Back in the day...sigh...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM

id imagine youd want to get lower differential... but i was wanted to compliment those rims theyd look perfect on my old truck

Quick Reply: Buying a New Setup, Several Questions