Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone regret putting on LT E rated tires (2016 F150)

Old 07-28-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Anyone regret putting on LT E rated tires (2016 F150)

I do a fair amount of mild, often rocky off road travel - sometimes driving 100's of miles on washboard roads, for which I often air down to 15 psi.

So far the old Goodyear Fortitude 116T factory tires have never failed me.

Am I gonna regret the heavier, stiffer LT load range E tires?

The truck drives fabulously on the interstate as is with factory tires, which is where most of the miles happen.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

There will be a difference and it varies widely by current manufacturer's offerings. It's a heavier tire and the good news is the sidewalls are stronger which almost always translates to better handling in all situations. The bad news is the heavier tire will make a difference on gas mileage. That seems to vary with vehicle application. I have leaned toward C load rather than E load on our F-150's lately - the C load is available in an LT tire. Get most of the benefit with little downside.

Good luck. You are wise to ask. It's hard to figure out tires any more.
The following users liked this post:
Blackbuzzard (07-28-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,057 Likes on 491 Posts

I would love to have E-Rated tires on mine. I didn't realize it until after I bought them but my 33x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires are F-Rated. Very heavy but they do ride pretty well.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

Other than the initial costs there isn't much of a disadvantage to going to "E" rated tires. For most people the advantages don't justify the expense either. I've used both on numerous vehicles over the last 40 years and have some observations. Anything that will puncture the tread on a "P" rated tire will puncture an "E" rated tire. I've had just as many flat tires with both types. The "E" rated tires will stand up to more sidewall damage, so they can be a tougher tire for off road use. Many more aggressive tires designed for off road driving are only available in an LT rating, but many of the less aggressive AT type tires are available as both LT and "P" rated tires.

An "E" rated tire is rated for heavier loads than "P" rated tires, but "P" rated tires are rated for more weight than a 1/2 ton truck can carry. A "D" rated tire is rated for exactly the same loads as "P" rated tire and a "C" rated tire less than a "P" rated tire. If I'm buying LT's I suggest going to "E"'s on a 1/2 ton truck. The "C" rated tires are designed for lightweight SUV's like Wranglers.

I can find little difference in ride quality once you figure out tire pressure. I currently have "E" rated tires on a lightweight Tacoma and they are the best riding tires I've ever had on it. They are rated for 85 PSI and the tire store that mounted them put 50 PSI in them. The ride home was stiff, but after playing around with different pressure the ride is very good now.

I don't think tire WEIGHT is going to effect fuel mileage. That has never been my observation. It is tread type that determines rolling resistance and aggressive mud terrain tires don't roll as easily. Even in the same size tire, same load rating I've seen about 2 mpg difference between an aggressive tire and a milder All Terrain tire. The "E" rated tires on my Tacoma are 12 lbs heavier, but have a very similar AT tread as the same size "P" series tires they replaced. Fuel mileage is exactly the same. Lots of guys buy an aggressive tire, lose fuel mileage and blame it on the weight when the real problem is the tread design. And those type of tires are only available as an LT.

If your off road driving is on gravel roads you probably don't NEED the expense of an LT tire. But if you WANT to go to a heavier duty tire and can afford the difference then go for it. Just don't go crazy with the most aggressive mud tire sold and don't try to run 50 PSI in them. I've found LT's to usually work best at about the same PSI the factory "P" rated tires were at for normal driving. You can always go up if hauling heavier loads. My F-150 has "P" rated tires on it for now. I'm going to "E" rated tires when these wear out.
The following 6 users liked this post by marshallr:
Blackbuzzard (07-30-2018), GoodVibes (02-20-2019), llm_flyfisher (10-04-2020), MotorsportsAustin (11-06-2022), TheMac (02-13-2024), Twin snail putput (10-04-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I did at first, my factory tires were basic hwy car tires, The load range E I put on are definitely stiffer even with the air pressure adjusted for best ride/wear, I've gotten used to them, now my truck rides like a truck instead of a car so there's that.

My fuel economy (which I could care less about) took a hit by 2-3mpg but not just because of the heavier tire, also because I went from a 30" to a 35" tire. If you stay at current size just change load range you shouldn't notice any difference other than a little bit stiffer ride and as others have mentioned, the stiffer/thicker sidewall will make handling a lot better and provide better offroad protection from sharp rocks and what not.
The following users liked this post:
llm_flyfisher (10-04-2020)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Yeah, I don't care for the ride they gave me over the factory tires - and I don't complain about the ride of what should be a truck. And since I didn't need the E rating (it is only a half ton) I wish I didn't have to get them to get the size I wanted. Had them on my 3/4 ton and couldn't tell a difference in ride.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I did at first, my factory tires were basic hwy car tires, The load range E I put on are definitely stiffer even with the air pressure adjusted for best ride/wear, I've gotten used to them, now my truck rides like a truck instead of a car so there's that.

My fuel economy (which I could care less about) took a hit by 2-3mpg but not just because of the heavier tire, also because I went from a 30" to a 35" tire. If you stay at current size just change load range you shouldn't notice any difference other than a little bit stiffer ride and as others have mentioned, the stiffer/thicker sidewall will make handling a lot better and provide better offroad protection from sharp rocks and what not.
What kind of tire pressure are you using? I have E rated too and was thinking of let some air out. The ride is nice.. just wondering if it will make a noticeable difference.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My truck is supposed to have the SL rated tires, but as part of the deal when I bought it used, the dealer put a set of the OEM E (119) rated 245/65R17 on. I did not like them at all, and thought they gave a very jolting, and sometimes uncomfortable ride, even aired down to the lower end of their range. Also they were terrible in any snow. l had planned on getting Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws with the lower SL (115) load rating at some point before elk season for their increased performance in snow, but my dissatisfaction with the E rated tires led me to move that purchase up by 3 months or so. I'm very happy with the SL Wildpeaks, even though they are a much more aggressive tire, they aren't much louder and the ride is better.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 08-03-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most? of the benefit

*most of the benefit.

Have you pulled a travel trailer? I'm looking to take out the "wobble" in the tires. I pull a 28' travel trailer. Wondering if the C load is sufficient or if I should go for the E. Thanks

Originally Posted by fang2015
There will be a difference and it varies widely by current manufacturer's offerings. It's a heavier tire and the good news is the sidewalls are stronger which almost always translates to better handling in all situations. The bad news is the heavier tire will make a difference on gas mileage. That seems to vary with vehicle application. I have leaned toward C load rather than E load on our F-150's lately - the C load is available in an LT tire. Get most of the benefit with little downside.

Good luck. You are wise to ask. It's hard to figure out tires any more.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had some LT tires on an older pickup about 15 years ago and I liked them. Especially the durability, I had 80k on them when I traded the truck in and they still had plenty of tread. I think they had more plys than P rated tires. Mine were not off road rated tires, just highway LT tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone regret putting on LT E rated tires (2016 F150)