Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Is anyone here running an Icon Stage 4/5 System on thier 09-14 F150s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is anyone here running an Icon Stage 4/5 System on thier 09-14 F150s?

Would like to get this setup, but at 3600 bucks I need some real world people to tell me how this setup performs.

I will be doing medium and high speed runs with my pickup.

Also would like to know if it is compatible to run w/ raptor takeoff parts as eventually I would like to go full mid travel.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Krucyfyx
Would like to get this setup, but at 3600 bucks I need some real world people to tell me how this setup performs.

I will be doing medium and high speed runs with my pickup.

Also would like to know if it is compatible to run w/ raptor takeoff parts as eventually I would like to go full mid travel.
If you are eventually planning on doing a raptor conversion just start there. Swap in the rear raptor shocks and leafs for now. Throw some used fox 2.0 with uniball uca in front and start collecting the front suspension parts. The front struts are different lengths for raptor and f150 so whatever you buy now will not be compatible later. So either spend the big bucks now and don't do the raptor conversion or buy cheap now and start collecting parts for the work later down the road.

I was in this same predicament myself and was dead set on doing the raptor swap, however life has taken a priority over that at the moment so I am likely to go with upgraded f150 parts. There are several guys that run fox 2.5s all around with uniball uppers and upgraded rear leafs that do just fine on some of the local raptor runs. A proper setup with a competent driver will do better than an average driver with the raptor swap.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the honest answer. I may just spend the money now and call it. Especially if i am able to do runs just fine w/ a 2.5 setup.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Krucyfyx
Thanks for the honest answer. I may just spend the money now and call it. Especially if i am able to do runs just fine w/ a 2.5 setup.
Ultimately its up to you to decide what is worth it or not but you will be spending twice if you buy one set up now and decide to do a raptor conversion later. I've been down this road before with other cars and know exactly how it goes. Regardless of which way you go buy quality parts and you will be good to go. Below is a link to a post from a user named "schmeal" the post explains what he has done to his truck. The entire thread is full of information and if you search his build thread he really gets into detail as to what he has done to his truck.

https://www.f150forum.com/f34/what-h...4/#post4741659
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blownfour
Ultimately its up to you to decide what is worth it or not but you will be spending twice if you buy one set up now and decide to do a raptor conversion later. I've been down this road before with other cars and know exactly how it goes. Regardless of which way you go buy quality parts and you will be good to go. Below is a link to a post from a user named "schmeal" the post explains what he has done to his truck. The entire thread is full of information and if you search his build thread he really gets into detail as to what he has done to his truck.

https://www.f150forum.com/f34/what-h...4/#post4741659
After reading through his threads and a few others, I think I am going to just stick w/ the icon stage 5.

If he can roll with raptors, I will be more than fine. And I am starting to realize Im dropping alot more money into this truck than I intended to do. Will most likely switch out the rear pack for deavers, and replace stock shocks with icons and call it. It will leave me more than capable of riding trails in and around montana, and wont make my piggy bank explode.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With the raptor runs I've been on only a few guys are running their trucks as fast as possible. Typically there are fast guys and slow guys. Guys with Rousch raptors crusing along leisurely, and guys stuffing the **** out of basic Tacomas with a few upgrades. I usually ran in the middle of the slower half of the group based on how aggressively we drove. Guys in the lead typically had purpose built raptors with long travels and full cages.

2.5's work well but you'll be lacking bottom out protection and position sensitive damping. Even stock raptor shocks have an internal bypass. The "bump zone" is what saves you when a deep wash comes out of nowhere and you don't have time to slow down. Braking causes the front to dive so you usually want to hit stuff off the gas coasting or on the throttle. Driving smart will keep the truck moving at a good clip but me and my co-pilot were always on the lookout for washouts and other obstacles.

That said, I just finished a raptor swap on mine. I pretty much got hooked from doing the runs and wanted something I didn't need to drive so carefully. Bottoming out the front in a washout is your arch enemy on a raptor run in the desert. Everything else the truck will handle fine while moving at the average pace of the group. There are only a few guys that will be pounding whoops like a trophy truck. They will be the aggressive guys with 3.0 shocks at a minimum. Most everyone else is just out there to explore and enjoy some scenery off the beaten path which can be done with a 2.5 oem replacement setup and some good tires.
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone here running an Icon Stage 4/5 System on thier 09-14 F150s?-imag0013.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by schmeal
With the raptor runs I've been on only a few guys are running their trucks as fast as possible. Typically there are fast guys and slow guys. Guys with Rousch raptors crusing along leisurely, and guys stuffing the **** out of basic Tacomas with a few upgrades. I usually ran in the middle of the slower half of the group based on how aggressively we drove. Guys in the lead typically had purpose built raptors with long travels and full cages.

2.5's work well but you'll be lacking bottom out protection and position sensitive damping. Even stock raptor shocks have an internal bypass. The "bump zone" is what saves you when a deep wash comes out of nowhere and you don't have time to slow down. Braking causes the front to dive so you usually want to hit stuff off the gas coasting or on the throttle. Driving smart will keep the truck moving at a good clip but me and my co-pilot were always on the lookout for washouts and other obstacles.

That said, I just finished a raptor swap on mine. I pretty much got hooked from doing the runs and wanted something I didn't need to drive so carefully. Bottoming out the front in a washout is your arch enemy on a raptor run in the desert. Everything else the truck will handle fine while moving at the average pace of the group. There are only a few guys that will be pounding whoops like a trophy truck. They will be the aggressive guys with 3.0 shocks at a minimum. Most everyone else is just out there to explore and enjoy some scenery off the beaten path which can be done with a 2.5 oem replacement setup and some good tires.

Thanks for chiming in on this. What did you do for the rear axle on the raptor swap? Besides body work the biggest issue I see with the raptor conversion is the width of the rear axle. You either have to run the raptor axle and either re-gear the front or the rear so both ends of the truck match. Or run spacers which I have seen a few times, but that doesn't seem like the best idea if you actually plan to run these things. hopefully I can get out to one of the RAD/ROC runs. Looks like a good time.

One last thing, I could have swore I saw some posts from you really outlining your last setup and what you had done to get everything dialed in but don't see those posts on this forum. Maybe I am mistaken but if you do would you mind pointing us towards them? Thank you.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Schmeal, we have very similar taste..lol

What do you recommend? I want to be able to at least keep up, and I enjoy every bit of going fast down the trails, so do I spend the money for a mild setup now and start collecting raptor parts, or do I buy a 2.5 setup? I guess, if you were in my situation knowing what you know now.. which would you choose?

Here's my truck so far:

Name:  newbumperglamour_zpsk8m0bxto.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  newbumperside_zpszlzpe6rn.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  142.5 KB
Old 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Blownfour,

I tracked down a factory rear raptor axle and had the front re-geared to 4.10 to match. I also ordered the raptor torsen per this thread https://www.f150forum.com/f38/limite...-front-377699/

Spacers weren't an option as I'm hammering the thing on the trail. The only other option was the Currie raptor replacement rear but I didn't feel like melting my credit card plus you have to have all your rear rotors bored out to fit the floater hub.

The ROC runs are a blast. Try to make one when you can, you might get hooked like I did.

As for my build, the link you posted was the most comprehensive write-up I made. I should probably make one when I have the time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Krucyfyx,

The first run I went on with my truck completely stock. Everyone was calling it "Off the lot ecoboost". I was able to keep up just fine but I was at the very back of the pack.

I recommend picking up an extra spare, a good jack and take your truck on a run as is. Doesn't have to be a raptor run. Find a local off road group and go on an easy trail run or get some buddies together and find a trail yourself. This will give you an idea of what you want your truck to do. You need to know what the truck is capable of before you start modifying it. You also need to base these decisions off the terrain you will encounter. You'll only know this by getting out there.

Then I'd lay it out like this.

Raptor Swap
-Wanna go fast
-Plan on doing a lot of off-roading (your primary hobby)
-Don't plan on selling it until its value is very low
-Have $$$ to blow
-Gas mileage and "practicality" isn't really an issue

2.5 Icon/Fox/King setup with UCA and Deavers
-Want to cruise trails
-Go on a Raptor run but drive conservatively
-Possibly will Sell/Trade-in the truck some day.
-Don't want to make permanent changes to the truck
-Have a decent commute where gas mileage matters

Great color choice BTW.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

i actually meet scott from icon last weekend. and yes i was gonna do the stage 4 kit on my 14. i like icon and their ppl so much i offered my 17 for their r&d on the raptor setup they are working on. when it is time to rebuild or replace my stock fox i will probably go icon setup.

edit. my favorite thing about the trucks pictured is no fraptors at all. just nicely modded trucks

Last edited by dlbb; 07-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.