Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Another lift question

Old 04-20-2019, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another lift question

Ok so I have a 2013 xlt super cab 4x4. It has a 6" pro comp suspension lift. I was running 35x12.50r20 M/T tires. No rubbing and it had a nice amount of gap on the wheel wells
Yesterday I installed 37x13.50r20 R/T's. Had to do some minor trimming but I love the tires. However, I was hoping to have gained a little more height but the other issue is the 37's ate up all the free space in the wheel wells.
So my first thought was to remove the 6" lift and go up to a 8" lift. Then I started thinking I only want like 2 more inches in height. I want to leave a 3" body lift as my last resort. Is there anyway of adding 2" of height without changing out the lifts? Add a Leafs or larger blocks in the rear and larger spacers or coils in the front without jeopardizing the other front end components?
Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Hey, couple of questions:

What do you have up front now with the pro comp lift? Strut spacers are coilovers?

Do you know how much the pro comp lift dropped your front diff, in inches? You can measure it with a tape measure as the distance between the top bolt and bottom bolt on the crossmember. I'm guessing it may be around 5" or so, give-or-take.

Do you know how many inches is your current rear block?

Do you have any pictures of your truck with the 37's on, from the side? Be curious to see how much space we're talking about.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Hey, couple of questions:

What do you have up front now with the pro comp lift? Strut spacers are coilovers?

Do you know how much the pro comp lift dropped your front diff, in inches? You can measure it with a tape measure as the distance between the top bolt and bottom bolt on the crossmember. I'm guessing it may be around 5" or so, give-or-take.

Do you know how many inches is your current rear block?

Do you have any pictures of your truck with the 37's on, from the side? Be curious to see how much space we're talking about.
Good Morning
Happy Easter. Thank you for your response. I will take some measurements and pictures as soon as we are done with the kids. I'm not sure about what's on the front end. The truck was already lifted when I bought it.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sandman48
Good Morning
Happy Easter. Thank you for your response. I will take some measurements and pictures as soon as we are done with the kids. I'm not sure about what's on the front end. The truck was already lifted when I bought it.
Sounds good, and Happy Easter to you as well!

No rush... we're all around here on the Internet all the time haha. Whenever you have time.

If you need any guidance on what / where to measure, just let me know.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 AM

Sounds good, and Happy Easter to you as well!

No rush... we're all around here on the Internet all the time haha. Whenever you have time.

If you need any guidance on what / where to measure, just let me know.
So here is some pictures and measurements. The rear blocks are 4" if I measured the right spot in the front i got about 4.5" from center top bolt to center on the bottom bolt

After shot with the 37's

Before with the 35's
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Cool, that all looks about right. Thanks.

So there's a couple of things you can do. It looks like you have 6" strut spacers in there now. Keep in mind that if your diff drop is 4.5" or 5" or so, the most height you can go is 2.5" on top of that, and that's pushing it. Any higher and you throw off the suspension geometry by too much. So total height would be 7", maybe 7.5". I'm not sure I'd put in a strut spacer that high. You do much better going with a coilover, but unfortunately they're not cheap. You could get this (I have them myself, the 2015+ model) and they should go to 7" no problem. They're adjustable:

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/88...Lift-Kits.html

I can't tell from your photo, is the back lower than the front right now? Or is that just the way the photo looks? Either way, you can replace the 4" block with a 5" block. On my truck the 5" rear block with the 6" coilovers makes it level. So if you went to 7" on the coilovers, the front might be higher than the rear. Then you'd need an additional solution for the rear to make it level, since the 5" block alone probably wouldn't do the trick.

Also, is that first photo with the 37's on? Just my personal opinion, but I think it looks great. Do you think there's too little wheel well showing?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM

Cool, that all looks about right. Thanks.

So there's a couple of things you can do. It looks like you have 6" strut spacers in there now. Keep in mind that if your diff drop is 4.5" or 5" or so, the most height you can go is 2.5" on top of that, and that's pushing it. Any higher and you throw off the suspension geometry by too much. So total height would be 7", maybe 7.5". I'm not sure I'd put in a strut spacer that high. You do much better going with a coilover, but unfortunately they're not cheap. You could get this (I have them myself, the 2015+ model) and they should go to 7" no problem. They're adjustable:

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/88...Lift-Kits.html

I can't tell from your photo, is the back lower than the front right now? Or is that just the way the photo looks? Either way, you can replace the 4" block with a 5" block. On my truck the 5" rear block with the 6" coilovers makes it level. So if you went to 7" on the coilovers, the front might be higher than the rear. Then you'd need an additional solution for the rear to make it level, since the 5" block alone probably wouldn't do the trick.

Also, is that first photo with the 37's on? Just my personal opinion, but I think it looks great. Do you think there's too little wheel well showing?
Thank you, your reply was very informative. It really helped me understand all of this. The rear is level with the front. I took the picture in the driveway and it is on a incline. My tool box is loaded down with tools so it drops the rear a little.
I got a really good deal on the tires and the shop assured me they would fit and not rub with minor trimming. When I drove it home they rubbed slightly when attempting a tight u turn which I could deal with but when hard breaking or any flexing they rub really bad!!!
While I got a good deal on the tires which was still in the 1400.00 range I honestly wasnt prepared to drop another 1600.00 +.another 2" of lift would clear the tires. That's why I was hoping I could just add a 2" level kit but with the 6" existing strut spacer it doesn't seem like I will be able to do that?
Do you have any other ideas?
Thank you for your guidance.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 PM

My only other thought is if you have a local off-road shop, to pop over and have them take a quick look and see if they think they can do some additional trimming that might help. Then maybe you only pay for like an hour or two of labor, and get rid of your rubbing problem. I have a 6" lift with 37's and I don't rub at all, but I know my off-road shop trimmed and cleaned things up to get it that way. Maybe a shop can do something similar for you.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman48
Thank you, your reply was very informative. It really helped me understand all of this. The rear is level with the front. I took the picture in the driveway and it is on a incline. My tool box is loaded down with tools so it drops the rear a little.
I got a really good deal on the tires and the shop assured me they would fit and not rub with minor trimming. When I drove it home they rubbed slightly when attempting a tight u turn which I could deal with but when hard breaking or any flexing they rub really bad!!!
While I got a good deal on the tires which was still in the 1400.00 range I honestly wasnt prepared to drop another 1600.00 +.another 2" of lift would clear the tires. That's why I was hoping I could just add a 2" level kit but with the 6" existing strut spacer it doesn't seem like I will be able to do that?
Do you have any other ideas?
Thank you for your guidance.
One other question. What gears do you have in the truck?

37" tires are big tires and hopefully you have at least 3.73 gears. If not at least that and the rubbing issue, I would return them for a 35.5" tire or something like that. The toyo comes in a 325/60/20 that is a 35.5" tire and only 12.8" wide, this would be my choice. In reality you would probably only lose about .5" of actual truck height, and I am guessing by your setup, that you aren't going crazy off road so the height isn't that big of a deal.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:28 PM

My only other thought is if you have a local off-road shop, to pop over and have them take a quick look and see if they think they can do some additional trimming that might help. Then maybe you only pay for like an hour or two of labor, and get rid of your rubbing problem. I have a 6" lift with 37's and I don't rub at all, but I know my off-road shop trimmed and cleaned things up to get it that way. Maybe a shop can do something similar for you.
Thank you for all your help. I can take my truck back to the shop and let them trim more. The suspension guy did a nice job trimming the front bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (04-21-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another lift question