Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Android app for off road using GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Android app for off road using GPS

I did a couple searches but most of the results were about Sync Nav. What I'm looking for is an app or actual maps I could load onto my android phone and use when I'm out in the desert - frequently out of cell range. Anybody know what apps work and which don't? I frequently go out with just me & the dogs so having reliable maps is important. I use good ole paper maps now but having the GPS as part of the equation would be great.

So what's out there?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Google Maps lets you download an area.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Google Maps lets you download an area.
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware you could do that. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Google maps doesn't show any of the roads/trails in the ORV areas out there. A friend of mine has a Lowrance GPS in his Jeep and it has pretty much every road out there - down to goat trails. That's sort of what I was hoping for but one that would work on the android.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 88 Likes on 24 Posts

I have started using BackCountry Navigator. There is a free version to try out before getting the pro version. With the pro version you can download portions of the maps you need for off line use. I believe you can import google maps routes as well. It's a very popular option in the Polaris RZR Forum Group. For better viewing, I purchased a used Tab 4 7" Wifi only for around $60 on fleabay and added a 32gig micro sd card just for the map download. BCN is a good app for navigation and using it with the Tab 4 I can run Multi Window, which allows split window with 2 apps running at the same time (if the support it). I run BCN and a speed app currently. I am still getting used to it and getting it permanently mounted in my RZR, preparing for a trip to Windrock (72,000ac , +300mi trails). The other popular app is OruxMaps. There is a big write up on this in detail on the RZR Forum http://www.rzrforums.net/gps/123658-...g-started.html
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Very similar to what I did Cobra Gt. PDF maps is another one I use as a back up.

I used this to mount the tablet

http://outlawoffroad.com/i-22266833-...rd-raptor.html
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 88 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Very similar to what I did Cobra Gt. PDF maps is another one I use as a back up.

I used this to mount the tablet

http://outlawoffroad.com/i-22266833-...rd-raptor.html
Nice looking mount. I have used Ram Mounts in my RZR, many use their Tablet mounts too. My RZR has the perfect place to mount a 7" tablet to the dry storage lid. I will go that route with it in an Otter Box Defender. I have by no means jumped the RZR like the dune guys but I have hit some rough stuff....my phone has been secure mounted to the roof roll bar. If the military and law enforcement use them it was good enough for me.
sigma pi (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

If you're going to do all you can to avoid getting an actual GPS, then I suggest a mapping program designed and engineered specifically for off-road use: Gaia maps. It will cost you $20. It is well worth it. You can also download routes and waypoints, but all the maps you could ever want/need are already in the program (off line). You can also track your own route and send to others. It has all the goat trails on it you can imagine.

I use Gaia Maps (on Google Play Store) on my Samsung Tab S2 in tandem with my Garmin 3597.

You might also consider getting a PLB, especially if you're solo a lot. And as an added *valuable* resource, get yourself a handheld HAM radio. Once it's registered, you can be tracked in real time (if you want) by family and friends on the internet on the http://aprs.fi website. Plus, you'll have a ham radio in case of an emergency.
larry2c (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 AM

I guess I just assumed with all the apps out there that there would be something pretty slick for off roaders. I do have an older Garmin (Nuvi 1450) but I'm not aware of any off road maps I could load into it. Maybe there are some and that would be a better way to go. Your thoughts?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 AM

STingRay - I guess my browser hadn't refreshed when I posted my earlier reply. the Gaia maps app looks interesting, I'm going to look into that a bit closer. If it does all I'm looking for $20 isn't a bad deal at all.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware you could do that. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Google maps doesn't show any of the roads/trails in the ORV areas out there. A friend of mine has a Lowrance GPS in his Jeep and it has pretty much every road out there - down to goat trails. That's sort of what I was hoping for but one that would work on the android.
I had one on a Samsung phone(android) that was a weather app that worked off of satellite and showed every road, cow trail. fence row. Radar showed storm coverage and obscured some of the detail during storms, but was very useful to see what was on the ground. I can't tell you the name because I changed to a Apple phone and the app was not available.

This app did not show GPS coordinates.

Last edited by Simon; 03-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.