Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Adventure Trailers: gimmick, or...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Adventure Trailers: gimmick, or...?

I've been researching off-road, expedition-style trailers lately, and mainly the sleeper variety (not the roof-top tent style). Where I expect to be in the near future places me in very hot or very cold weather, which means AC and/or heat would be almost a required feature. The thing is, as I look at what's out there with the features I would want (room for a queen bed, galley kitchen, climate control, water with filters, substantial electric), the prices climb to what a good-sized travel trailer goes for.

I think I like the idea of an off-grid, self-sustainable camping trailer more than reality would allow me to use one... but it would still be a fun toy or even a build project to get into. Realistically... is anyone using one of these for off-the-path, multi-day adventuring? What is your experience?

P.S. - This is tow-related but I figured the off-road forum was a better place for this thread. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you thought about renting one? I don't know if anyone is renting exactly what you want but you should be able to rent one close enough. Would definitely like to hear from more people on this though. Two of my co-workers have smaller off-road trailers they tow behind their fj and 4runner and they seem to love them.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good place to get info on off road trailers like that is on www.expeditionportal.com. Lots of good info, and builds.
Honestly, from your requirements, it may not be for you. If you need AC, that'll require a generator or shore power.
There are some good rough road capable travel trailers out there that may suit your needs but they are no means "off road" capable. We have a pop up that fits in that category.
Hope this all helps!
The following users liked this post:
tdog02 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Flaccid Member

I'm registered on ExPo under the same username. There's lots of good info on there. I guess I was interested in a "layman's" view. I should post there to see if I can gain some entry-level insight.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142
I'm registered on ExPo under the same username. There's lots of good info on there. I guess I was interested in a "layman's" view. I should post there to see if I can gain some entry-level insight.
It's not impossible but as with everything there are trade offs.

Typically, the more off road worthy, the smaller and lighter the trailer - pintle hitch, large tires, etc.

If you just plan on running down unimproved roads or the occasional two-track, you could probably get away with longer & heavier than if you are planning on spending a couple weeks in Moab.

A wheeling buddy and I were toying with the idea of fabbing a couple trailers, combo toolbox/kitchen and bed top tent style, maybe 6'x6' on a simple square frame.
Apples (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Flaccid Member

As appealing as going off the grid for a few weeks in the woods or mountains sounds, in reality, I'll probably never have the time to do it. However, as projects go, building an off-road trailer from the ground up, even one equipped to sleep in, would be more fun and more achievable than building a full-sized TT.

So, I dunno. Probably an impractical idea to chase, but that hasn't stopped me before.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

as projects go, building an off-road trailer from the ground up, even one equipped to sleep in, would be more fun and more achievable than building a full-sized TT.
I was going to suggest building something... but figured the comment would be dismissed. Glad to see otherwise...

I was bitten by the teardrop trailer bug a few years back, and I have a stalled project sitting out back. It is the floorplan of a teardrop but in the form of a camp cargo trailer. It was conceived as a teardrop trailer to carry no more than 1100-1200 lbs and sits on a frame of my design, welded by a friend skilled in welding thin-wall steel square tubing.

It's suspension are two rubber torsion half-axles, chosen for their adjustable trailing arm angle (the wheel spindle is on the end of a 4-1/2" trailing arm the big end of which is splined on the rubber torsion axis). This was to be a road-going rig, not necessarily an offroad trailer... but the speed at which I might drive Forest Service roads this is a non-issue. :-p

The "camp cargo" aspect trailer body was to learn how to use a wood router, then I was going to either add to that open-top structure or to (now) build a whole new trailer body.

A feature of the galley is an Engle 45-qt capacity 12V/110V fridge; this is powered by a 100 Ah AGM battery which was to have been recharged every other day with a smart charger powered by a Honda 1000iu genset. This fridge/battery setup later became the motivation to learn about off-grid solar power (which is battery power). I now have a working solar charge system for the 100 Ah battery which in turn runs the Engle fridge. Think of it: Refrigeration from the sun.

This solar charge system can run from the input of one 100-watt panel, but two are used in series for a nominal 24V input, increasing amperage output by 1 amp, from 12.5 amps to 13.5 amps in summer sun.

I made extensions for the panel input from 10 ga copper stranded landscape cable. The bulkhead fittings are 12V trolling motor connectors. The third, larger bulkhead fitting is for 110/120V shore power input to run the fridge when parked here at home and to run a 110V charger designed for this exact battery.

When I started hacking out this project a few years ago, it sparked a renewed interest in target shooting and it created an interest in vintage Coleman white-gas-powered lanterns and stoves of which I now have a small collection. The trailer project also, now, has new legs with the recent acquisition of my F150 and will more than likely grow a foot or two in every dimension. I may have to upgrade the torsion half axles for a higher weight capacity. I'll change the tires to the type I'm using on the truck, adjust the trailing arm and should be able to match the truck's ride height.*

Here it is when originally road tested after slapping it together to run behind a 2.3 Duratec Ford Focus hatch. It survived a 1400-mile round trip from Los Angeles to Shasta Lake and back. At the time it was strictly a fair-weather rig with no fenders. I stopped at San Antonio Lake for these photos.

*Again, I realize this is an Offroad Section thread... thanks for indulging me!

Last edited by Apples; 08-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.
DeltaNu1142 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Flaccid Member

Outstanding. I love to read stuff like this.

It's the fact that what I want to do would cost me $16-18k off the shelf that I would consider building. I'm handy, but I'd probably have to stretch my capability to fab something with a rear-opening, hatch-type galley that's completely leakproof. Everything else I want to do feel pretty good about.

Waiting for photos.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:02 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

Outstanding. I love to read stuff like this.
Glad to hear it. As for pics...

I had to switch computers; to my older laptop that has the photos I want. But when posting here from that machine and when trying to upload pics from it, this website sees files from the newer computer! and that one is switched off... *headscratch*

Bear with me. I may have to email the pics to myself then upload them from my usual device... agh.

Last edited by Apples; 08-02-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Flaccid Member

Sidebar: how are the tow loops working out?