Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F-150 max tire size with 2” lift

 
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2018 F-150 max tire size with 2” lift

I have a 2018 F-150 4 x 4 super crew cab. I am adding a 2 inch spacer to the front, add a leaf and new shocks to the back because I like some rake. I do not want to remove my crash bars ! Does anyone know what size tire I can go to? My wheels are 17” vision raptor wheels with a +25 mm offset . The guy at the shop said the crash bars would need to be removed to put on 285 75/17 tires. These tires are 33.86 inches in diameter. The stock ones are 31.7” and it seems like there’s enough space to fit the larger ones w/o touching crash bars. Anybody have knowledge on this? Thank you
CoachC is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
tuckr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Washington State
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
I have a 2018 F-150 4 x 4 super crew cab. I am adding a 2 inch spacer to the front, add a leaf and new shocks to the back because I like some rake. I do not want to remove my crash bars ! Does anyone know what size tire I can go to? My wheels are 17” vision raptor wheels with a +25 mm offset . The guy at the shop said the crash bars would need to be removed to put on 285 75/17 tires. These tires are 33.86 inches in diameter. The stock ones are 31.7” and it seems like there’s enough space to fit the larger ones w/o touching crash bars. Anybody have knowledge on this? Thank you
Moved up from stock and currently running Michelin’s LT tires 265/70/r18. The truck itself is stock and the tire height is 32.7. I’d feel comfortable going up to about 33.5 max so I see yours probably closer to 34. TireRack online is a good starting place to look at tire and specs.
tuckr2 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 40
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Here's an answer. Short version "no".

https://www.f150forum.com/f34/zone-2...-mount-431865/
Red17 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:10 AM
  #4  
Flaccid Member
 
DeltaNu1142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,660
Liked 318 Times in 213 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Red17 View Post
Here's an answer. Short version "no".
I had 2" spacers with my 305/65-18 KO2s, which BFG specs as 33.6" diameter, and I ran them with lots of clearance and no other modifications. See my build thread for crash bar photos and level specs. I also ran a full-length AAL kit from AutoSpring and replaced the 1-1/4" stock blocks with 1" poly blocks.

Incidentally--and because this is in the Off-Road forum--if you're doing any significant off-roading, strut spacers aren't a great idea. You don't have to search long to find photos of demolished front suspension from wheeling with pucks. I eventually replaced them with leveling struts because they maintain factory down travel. Aside from that, the OEM struts are just garbage.

DeltaNu1142 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 AM
  #5  
Member
 
dmnspd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am currently running a VSP 2" solid aluminum spacers on my 2018 F150 FX4. I am also running 2018 Raptor wheels with 315/70R17 BFG TA KO2 tires with zero rubbing, zero trimming and crash bars intact. The tires sit almost perfectly flush with the fenders and I still have full turning radius. Perfect setup in my opinion.

dmnspd is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:27 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I have Fox Coilovers (got just over 2 inches of lift) and fit a set of 285/70R18 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires (33.98 inches) on my stock wheels and plenty of clearance. Granted the tires are not very wide, but they are lighter in weight and the ride is awesome.
LandGuru1 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tag
micky_blue is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM
  #8  
TO THE MOON
 
Apdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 148
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmnspd View Post
I am currently running a VSP 2" solid aluminum spacers on my 2018 F150 FX4. I am also running 2018 Raptor wheels with 315/70R17 BFG TA KO2 tires with zero rubbing, zero trimming and crash bars intact. The tires sit almost perfectly flush with the fenders and I still have full turning radius. Perfect setup in my opinion.

I agree, this looks amazing, I am sure it functions amazing and there are ZERO compromises for the 99% you are not off road
Apdl is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:43 AM
  #9  
Member
 
dmnspd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Apdl View Post
I agree, this looks amazing, I am sure it functions amazing and there are ZERO compromises for the 99% you are not off road
Thank you, and you are correct. I do not use this truck for any kind of serious or intermediate off roading and I certainly don’t beat on it.

However, it has done great at the California sand dunes, the Arizona white mountains and Arizona desert when hitting established trails that don’t require spinning wheels to climb things. I mostly use this truck to get my family around and tow dedicated off road toys.

I wasn’t building a Raptor or rock crawler competitor, just something with a bit more ground clearance that looks good as well. If I needed this truck to perform at a higher level off road I would probably run the Icon suspension or the Roush Fox setup, but this works for my purposes.
dmnspd is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,484
Liked 411 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post

I had 2" spacers with my 305/65-18 KO2s, which BFG specs as 33.6" diameter, and I ran them with lots of clearance and no other modifications. See my build thread for crash bar photos and level specs. I also ran a full-length AAL kit from AutoSpring and replaced the 1-1/4" stock blocks with 1" poly blocks.

Incidentally--and because this is in the Off-Road forum--if you're doing any significant off-roading, strut spacers aren't a great idea. You don't have to search long to find photos of demolished front suspension from wheeling with pucks. I eventually replaced them with leveling struts because they maintain factory down travel. Aside from that, the OEM struts are just garbage.

The difference between spacers and say 5100's is that the 5100's maintain factory level of extension where spacers ultimately allow the bottom of the strut to extend 2" farther than stock (or however much the spacer provides for lift). The down side to 5100's is that you lose downward travel from stock (max extension is the same place but you're starting already extended compared to stock, that's how you get the lift). If stock downward travel is 5", with a spacer, you still have 5" (or until something makes contact limiting travel) which puts you extended 2" more than stock, which can cause issues. With 5100s, you'd have 3" of extension.

On my Frontier, if you lifted a front tire off the ground, the UCA would contact the coil bucket. I had a spacer that provided 2" of lift, the contact cut downward travel by about half an inch, never happened on road and rarely offroad. In the Tacoma world, those guys are massively against spacers but if I lift my wife's truck, thats what it will be...the truck will never go off road. I'd go with 5100's but all I keep reading is that they rust within a year up here.
11screw50 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 max tire size with 2” lift


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: