2015 F-150 for Florida Forest Trails, BDS 6" Lift, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 4.88's - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section

2015 F-150 for Florida Forest Trails, BDS 6" Lift, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 4.88's

Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Default 2015 F-150 for Florida Forest Trails, BDS 6" Lift, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 4.88's

Hey all! First-ever post on the forum, but I've been reading on here for a while. Not sure if this is the right category, but I wanted to post some photos and info on my F-150 since I learned so much from doing research on here, in case it helps anyone else. This site was awesome when I was learning what I wanted to do with my truck. Anyway, here's my truck and info:

​I wanted to build something that was my daily driver but also good off-road on flat Florida forest trails that are muddy or have deep holes and ruts. I focused only on functional stuff, not really doing anything to the appearance right now (like grills, headlights, etc.). Trying to keep to the budget!

The trails I go on usually have three kinds of off-road situations: Deep mud, deep ruts / holes, or logs and forest stuff that I have to drive over. For me clearance and traction were my two primary goals, and I rarely go over 20mph on these muddy twisty trails. I recognize that I haven't done any suspension mods like coilovers or a long travel setup, etc, and I know a more serious off-road truck would have those, but for my use and need for clearance and traction, this works and was in budget.

Anyway, here's the details:

Started with a bone-stock 2015 F-150 XL Sport 4x4 Supercrew, 5.0L V8

BDS 6" lift with optional Fox shocks

37 x 12.5 x 18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18" Fuel Mavericks

Re-geared front and rear to 4.88 axle ratio

Superchips Flashpaq F5 to tune and to fix speedometer for tire size and new axle ratio (I use the 87 Octane tune)

Warn 10,000lb multi-mount removable winch (I wheel alone so needed a winch)

The guys at my local shop did a great job. There was some serious trimming and cleanup and a minor repositioning of the front bumper, but there is zero rub lock-to-lock in turns and going over bumps, and the turning radius is great. At the low speeds I go, it's been great on the trail. I'd thought about proper mud terrains, but since it's my daily driver, went with the Ridge Grapplers, and they're awesome. Been through plenty of deep sticky mud with no problems. The re-gearing made a huge difference. I had to very briefly drive with the stock gears, and while it actually was still pretty decent, I'm really happy with the 4.88's. Even though it's a heavy truck, it's really quick.

That's pretty much it. It gets the job done, rides great on and off-road, gets decent fuel mileage, and turned out how I wanted all-around. I wish I had more pictures of it in the mud and stuff, but since I wheel alone, it's not like I can hop out half-way through a mud bog to take photos! Haha. If anyone has any questions or anything, give a shout!

At home all washed:

Florida_F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

can you post a picture of the multi-mount removable winch?
bronco2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco2977 View Post
can you post a picture of the multi-mount removable winch?
Sure. Here it is. The carrier goes right into the 2" receiver, just like a trailer hitch.

There's a permanently installed quick-connect plug by the receiver which runs power from the battery.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_F150 View Post
Sure. Here it is. The carrier goes right into the 2" receiver, just like a trailer hitch.

There's a permanently installed quick-connect plug by the receiver which runs power from the battery.

Front receiver hitch?
Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco2977 View Post
Front receiver hitch?
It can be used in a front or rear receiver. I have mine wired for the rear because that setup works better for how I use the truck. I may eventually put a receiver on the front, so I have both options. That's what the winch was designed for (to be able to move it back and forth from front to rear as needed).
Old 10-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
It can be used in a front or rear receiver. I have mine wired for the rear because that setup works better for how I use the truck. I may eventually put a receiver on the front, so I have both options. That's what the winch was designed for (to be able to move it back and forth from front to rear as needed).
Gotcha. I didnít think I saw a front hitch.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #7

Good looking truck! Where are you located in Florida? I go wheeling out at Citrus a couple times a year.
Allenfab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allenfab For This Useful Post:
Florida_F150 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Thumbs up Florida Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenfab View Post
Good looking truck! Where are you located in Florida? I go wheeling out at Citrus a couple times a year.
Thanks! Appreciated. I'm around Tampa Bay, and I usually go wheeling about an hour north in the Richloam and Green Swamp WMA's (here it is on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/Pu74RFuAnzp ).

I've been wanting to go up to Hard Rock Off-Road Park in Ocala... heard it's pretty great there, but never been yet. If you ever go, give a shout!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Senile member

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciated. I'm around Tampa Bay, and I usually go wheeling about an hour north in the Richloam and Green Swamp WMA's (here it is on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/Pu74RFuAnzp ).

I've been wanting to go up to Hard Rock Off-Road Park in Ocala... heard it's pretty great there, but never been yet. If you ever go, give a shout!
ooohhh, you're closer to me than I thought. Would be interested in going wheeling with ya sometime (i'm on the south side of the bay)
chimmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
ooohhh, you're closer to me than I thought. Would be interested in going wheeling with ya sometime (i'm on the south side of the bay)
Yeah that would be awesome. Been meaning to find a way to get a few people together to go wheeling with a few times a year. Like I was sayin', I've always gone solo (I don't know that many people with off-road trucks), and when I'm out there alone and things get dicey, it's a little nerve-wracking! Haha! But always fun...