Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2" vs 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2" vs 3" lift

I'm shopping for lift/level kit for my 2017 SCrew.

I like the looks of the higher lifts, such as 3" or 4", but I do not want to install the ones that drop the diff and lower control arm mount points, so I am looking to find out the most I can "reasonably" lift with a coilover and uca package.

My "offroading" is mostly on forest service roads and the like. I enjoy driving just for the sake of it, but most of the time I'm on a mission, heading out to go hunting or camping.

I want a suspension that I can drive fast and comfortable over those roads, which vary from groomed gravel, to washboard, to water filled potholes, to washed out rocky sections, etc. I may occasionally play around really offroad, but I'm not too concerned with capability for that, other than perhaps breakover angle.

I'm leaning towards one of the kits that raises the front 3" and the rear 1". Will the 3" kit have the good ride I'm looking for? Or, do I need to stay with ~2" leveling to keep the good ride in those conditions?

Specific recommendations of kits, and why you like them, would be appreciated.

-Skip
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

I off-road a lot (but I have a lift, not a level) so just chiming in with my experience from chatting with others. I would stick to no more than 2" maybe 2.5" max if you plan on off-roading. Most people like the Bilstein 6112 coilover setup (or the 5100 shocks without the springs). I'd look into those.

What size wheels are you running? If you're sticking with the level, the next biggest thing that will affect your off-road ability and ride quality will be your wheel / tire combo. I'd recommend 18" wheels with the biggest tire you can fit without rubbing. This way you have the maximum amount of sidewall. And obviously at minimum an All-Terrain tire, if not a Hybrid tire (half All-Terrain, half Mud-Terrain).
The following users liked this post:
Tirespin (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tlots of great reviews on the Halo lift Boss ultimate 0-3inch lift. Great reviews. About $1200. That’s what I’ve decided to go with. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Tirespin (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:52 AM

I know tires will make a big difference too, I haven't got there yet. Due to the cost of switching I'll probably stay with the 20s and a spacer, rather than buying new wheels too.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:52 AM

How does the Halo ride quality compare to other players, like Icon and Fox and Bilstein? Did you use aftermarket UCAs?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

I have installed 2.5" spacers for my level kit. I would not go any taller than that. Angles on drivetrain is about maxed out.

With 3" level you will more than likely see premature suspension parts wear.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirespin
I know tires will make a big difference too, I haven't got there yet. Due to the cost of switching I'll probably stay with the 20s and a spacer, rather than buying new wheels too.
Tires pretty much make the biggest difference. I would start with a wheel and tire upgrade (17"s) before messing with suspension.

For the best ride possible, big tire, small wheel, aftermarket coilovers running as close to stock height as possible. Spacers take away from your droop travel which leads to a harsh ride when the suspension droops out.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirespin
I'm shopping for lift/level kit for my 2017 SCrew.

I like the looks of the higher lifts, such as 3" or 4", but I do not want to install the ones that drop the diff and lower control arm mount points, so I am looking to find out the most I can "reasonably" lift with a coilover and uca package.

My "offroading" is mostly on forest service roads and the like. I enjoy driving just for the sake of it, but most of the time I'm on a mission, heading out to go hunting or camping.

I want a suspension that I can drive fast and comfortable over those roads, which vary from groomed gravel, to washboard, to water filled potholes, to washed out rocky sections, etc. I may occasionally play around really offroad, but I'm not too concerned with capability for that, other than perhaps breakover angle.

I'm leaning towards one of the kits that raises the front 3" and the rear 1". Will the 3" kit have the good ride I'm looking for? Or, do I need to stay with ~2" leveling to keep the good ride in those conditions?

Specific recommendations of kits, and why you like them, would be appreciated.

-Skip
I had the 3.5in Readylift (w/ new UCAs) on my truck. I found out after (like folks here say, stay under 2.5in) it was really bad on the CV joints as found it started going into the drum. Since I had the FX4, it was doing damage, so moved up into a 6in lift. I hear it "might" be ok on a non 4x4 but I cannot confirm as that is what i heard. Friend of mine has the 3.5in readylift and her's a 4X2 and she had no problems where as mine was the FX4 and problems occurred.

Quick Reply: 2" vs 3" lift