Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

04-08 f150 5.4 hubs wont turn in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-08 f150 5.4 hubs wont turn in 4x4

I have a 2004 f150 4x4 with brand new vacuum hoses from the IWEs all the way up to the rear intake manifold vacuum port on the engine. I have replaced the IWEs, Hub assemblies, and solenoid. I've done my research but I cannot stumble upon how to Fix this problem. The CV axles weren't worn down had perfect splines so I did not replace them. My hubs will lock in 2WD ( by pulling vacuum hose off of IWEs) I have done this to make sure my hubs will lock I have no vacuum leak and 2WD is perfecting fine no partially engaging problems etc, but when I lock my transfer case in 4wd h or low the front wheels won't turn. The CV axle just turns , the wheel doesn't spin, HOW can this happen if it can lock the hubs when I'm in 2WD ? I have torqued everything to spec in the front end, everything. The front drive shaft turns like its suppose to in. 4x4. I have tried pulling my vacuum hoses from acuators and engaging the hubs that way in 4x4 no luck, but I can still lock my hubs in 2wd and have the cv axles spinning and front driveshafts spinning due to my front tires moving ( not my transfer case) I just don't see what else it could be, ANY ideas that I haven't mentioned previously would be helpful.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Sounds like your wheel ends are not engaged...
Old 01-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Yes that is correct it is not in engaging/ locking the hubs in. 4wd. Like I said, brand new everything no dif,vacuum , electrical problem. The wheels can lock in 2 wd but when the transfer case switches to 4x4 the hubs won't lock in for some reason. Everything is done right but any tips or help would be helpful.........that I don't already know^
Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Mark

I would suggest you barrow a vacuum pump from a local parts store and troubleshoot the IWE's.. the wheel ends need to vent vacuum in order to engage. If what you said about the front drive shaft and CV axel turning but no tire movement is true...it has to be the IWE's...
The following users liked this post:
Evangriffin96 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM

I have already bought a vacuum pump to test the vacuum... The acuators/IWEs are brand new torqued to spec as well but they are not OEM it is Dorman brand. But it doesn't partially engage in 2wd none of that sort and the lines going to the acuators/IWEs are new as well so the vent mine isn't clogged. I also didn't put much Grease in the hubs or cvs or acuators because ford told me not to because I told them the acuators already are greased from when I bought it, he told me to barely put any on when it comes time to grease it up he said to use lithium grease although ford told me not to put grease on I put a little lithium grease on the spindle of cv axle other than that everything checks out,the cv axles lock in 2wd when I pull vacuum off the IWE but when it's in 4x4 no luck on locking hubs maybe the spring in the IWE doesn't push the locking collar on all the way. But I don't see how that could be possible with everything new on it and torqued correctly... I am not a newbie to working on trucks, it is done correctly I just can't possibly think what it would be because I don't think it's not getting enough ventilation.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Mark

CV axles lock in 2WD ?? they are disengaged in 2WD ...vacuum holds them out...when you select the SOTF switch to 4H the vacuum vents from the wheel ends and they engage for 4WD...a spring helps this. When you remove the IWE lines, this should allow your wheel ends to engage, unless there is something holding them out besides the required vacuum. Something is not correct with the wheel ends...new or not !
Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM

I agree something is wrong in that area, but what I was saying about it locking in 2x4 was that when I pull off the vacuum lines from acuators I can lock them in, I did that to make sure it's locking in, in general and it does. When I have them on that disengage normally when drive in 2wd no problem there, I just don't know what it could be inside the hub and IWE that could keep it from engaging
Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Mark

when you pull the lines off it will engage the wheel ends and your 4WD works ??? that's not what you said in your OP...
Old 01-25-2016, 04:46 PM

No it won't engage in 4x4.............. I was saying it CAN lock in 2WD and THAT works perfectly find. My OP says everything about my situation. No vacuum problem (which has NOTHING to do with my 4x4) and everything else checks out. There is no grinding noise when I try to put in 4x4 just a little whining noise.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:29 AM
Mark

What do you mean vacuum has nothing to do with your 4WD system and what about this statement... 'but what I was saying about it locking in 2x4 was that when I pull off the vacuum lines from acuators I can lock them in", ?? I’m really confused now... when you pull lines ...this should default your wheel ends to engaged 4WD not 2WD

Quick Reply: 04-08 f150 5.4 hubs wont turn in 4x4