Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Wheel/Tire Choice Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel/Tire Choice Help

Hey y'all, this is my first post but I've been reading this forum for a long time and using it for everything I've done but I have run into a problem and was hoping y'all could help. I know that it has been talked about constantly but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

So here's the deal, I ordered 17x9 XD 800 Misfits with 5 inches of BS and 0 offset from 4wheelonline and 35x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I thought I had done sufficient research but apparently I was wrong because it turns out the Nittos are a 13.19 inch wide tire and (with my 2006 4x4 with a 2.5 in HBS level) apparently that will rub the Control Arms. Well today 4wheelonline called and told me that the xd misfits were actually not in stock and were on their way from overseas and I was looking at 2-3 weeks, but that they would be happy to cancel my order or exchange the wheels for a different choice that they had in stock. So here's the question: Will XD addicts that have 4.53 in. of backspacing and an offset of -12 help the tires fit better, I don't mind trimming but I would really prefer not to have any rubbing on the control arms.
Also, what are y'alls feelings about the addicts vs. the misfits?

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry to bring up such a talked about topic.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Be prepared to have some rubbing on the lower wheelwells when making tight turn's with those tires and wheel's. I had to use 17x8 wheels with 5 1/2 inches of BS to clear 315x7x17 BFG AT's on my leveled '04. They were on 17x9 wheels with 5 inches of BS originally but rubbed when turning even after some trimming. It just depend's on how much you want to trim to make them fit. A 295x70 or a 305x70 may be a better choice. Forgot to mention that a 9" wheel with 5 inches of BS will stick out 2 inches more then stock and with taller and wider tires it will be the rubbing on the wheelwells and not the control arm you will be dealing with.

Last edited by PawPaw; 08-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the -12 offset will set your wheel out a bit further from the truck hence allowing more clearance for your control arms. I personally love the XD ADDICT so that has my vote over the Misift

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire Choice Help