Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Used 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions

Old 09-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Used 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions

Would you pay $275 for a used set of 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions with 15K miles on them? They're approximately 3 years old. Removed from an F150. Treadwear looks normal. Just not sure if they're worth the $. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I think that's what I sold mine for when I took them off my truck at 1800 miles and only a couple weeks old. I wouldn't bother personally, then again the only reason I could ever see putting those tires back on my truck would be if I were trading it in.
The following users liked this post:
Mulestang (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DavidKR
I think that's what I sold mine for when I took them off my truck at 1800 miles and only a couple weeks old. I wouldn't bother personally, then again the only reason I could ever see putting those tires back on my truck would be if I were trading it in.
What did you not like about them? I find a lot of split feedback on them.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Scorpions

Mine are coming off before winter. These are by far the worst tire for snow that I have ever had on a vehicle. I used them last winter because thats what came on the truck. Every time we got snow I had to drive much slower than with other tires . Im going with Toyo a/t tires in November. You can have my old 13,000 mile scorpions for free. I just noticed you live in Florida, they are probably fine for the Sunshine state.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lariatwhipped
Mine are coming off before winter. These are by far the worst tire for snow that I have ever had on a vehicle. I used them last winter because thats what came on the truck. Every time we got snow I had to drive much slower than with other tires . Im going with Toyo a/t tires in November. You can have my old 13,000 mile scorpions for free. I just noticed you live in Florida, they are probably fine for the Sunshine state.
Waiting to hear a bunch of complaints about how awful they are in the rain.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lariatwhipped
I spent my free time over the weekend looking at other options. It's kinda like the cereal isle at the grocery store. Too many choices! I did find that the #1 driver in people's complaint about the Scorpions is snow performance. A vast majority of the 'scorpions suck' threads made some mention of snow. 90% of my driving is on the street here in north FL. I don't offroad any, but I do encounter mud when hauling the horse trailer around. The Scorpions may be ok for this. Then, the question becomes, how risky is it buying a used set of them? Will you be inheriting balance issues and flat spots? Too many questions...
Old 09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulestang
I spent my free time over the weekend looking at other options. It's kinda like the cereal isle at the grocery store. Too many choices! I did find that the #1 driver in people's complaint about the Scorpions is snow performance. A vast majority of the 'scorpions suck' threads made some mention of snow. 90% of my driving is on the street here in north FL. I don't offroad any, but I do encounter mud when hauling the horse trailer around. The Scorpions may be ok for this. Then, the question becomes, how risky is it buying a used set of them? Will you be inheriting balance issues and flat spots? Too many questions...
when I was a Ford tech, I changed out a whole lot of Scorpions. some had 20k, some had 40k, but no matter what, just about every single one of them had uneven wear. when I got rid of them on my first truck, it was right when I bought it. they had 20k on them and they were at like 3/32" and I know with 100% certainty that the original owner was an old retired man who did not drive the truck hard.

when I got rid of them I went with stock size Toyo Open Country A/T IIs, which were an all-around great tire, they held up fine in snow, rain, gravel and mud, and whatever else I threw at them. and coming from the cupped Scorpions I actually gained a little MPG when I went to the Toyos and the noise in the cabin went down as well.

so to answer your question, I wouldn't recommend buying a used set of Scorpions for anything other than doing burnouts or trading in. there are a lot of options out there for decent tires for under $200/each in that size and it would be much more worth your while to spend the extra now for something that will last a whole lot longer and work much better as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DavidKR
when I was a Ford tech, I changed out a whole lot of Scorpions. some had 20k, some had 40k, but no matter what, just about every single one of them had uneven wear. when I got rid of them on my first truck, it was right when I bought it. they had 20k on them and they were at like 3/32" and I know with 100% certainty that the original owner was an old retired man who did not drive the truck hard.

when I got rid of them I went with stock size Toyo Open Country A/T IIs, which were an all-around great tire, they held up fine in snow, rain, gravel and mud, and whatever else I threw at them. and coming from the cupped Scorpions I actually gained a little MPG when I went to the Toyos and the noise in the cabin went down as well.

so to answer your question, I wouldn't recommend buying a used set of Scorpions for anything other than doing burnouts or trading in. there are a lot of options out there for decent tires for under $200/each in that size and it would be much more worth your while to spend the extra now for something that will last a whole lot longer and work much better as well.
Yeah, I'm going new. More $ up front, but better results and safer in the long run. Looking through the threads now for a good tire for Florida. 90% paved road use, frequent rain, and occasional muddy episodes pulling the horse trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions