Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Upgrade to Platinum 20" Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to Platinum 20" Wheels?

Hi all,
Glad to join the forums.
I'm looking for advice/thoughts on wheels and tires. I just bought a 2019 XLT last week. The dealer is a family member, and he offered me a set of new 2019 Platinum 20" polished aluminum takeoff wheels and stock tires in exchange for my stock 18" "Chrome Like PVD" wheels and tires plus about $300. Seems like a fair deal to me. Sticker price for the upgrade to 20s on the XLT is about $1,200+.
I'd like to have a nice looking truck, hopefully a little different than every other white F-150 XLT on the road. I'd also like the truck to be comfortable and capable on the road plus a little light off-road when I stop to fish off some old mountain road somewhere, or take a dirt road up a mountain occasionally.
I'm getting a leveling kit installed in a couple days and am not opposed to a little larger diameter rubber at some point.
What do you think? Do I take the deal and trade up into the 20's? I realize there's a bit less side wall, so a little stiffer ride, any other drawbacks/advantages? Can I put more sidewall rubber on the 20's later? Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Seems like a fair deal but I would offer $200. I doubt you are going to notice any ride difference at all going to 20s and yes you can put more sidewall rubber on later with no rubbing; as long as you don't get to crazy.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Very fair deal.
Yes, you'll be able to add larger tires down the road with a level.
Go for it-
Old 06-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

The huge advantage of the 20" wheels (besides looks) is the width. If I bought an F150 with the 18's, they would be swapped for OEM 20's or aftermarket wheels right away for the width difference alone.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to Platinum 20" Wheels?