Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Toyo Open Country AT2's - What the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Toyo Open Country AT2's - What the hell?

Last year, my BFG's (street/highway tire) wore out and I went looking for new tires. A buddy of mine talked me into the Toyo AT2's as he runs those on his doucheram. I was looking for a tire that had a more aggressive tread pattern mostly for the "look", as I don't do any off-roading (except when I head off on logging roads for a fishing twice a year).

I bought them from the local Ford dealer, however they were a special order as they don't normally carry them. As such, I'm kind of stuck with them - it's not like I can return them to the dealer if I don't like them.

Immediately I noticed the road noise out of these. It was brutal... One of my dogs now freaks right out when they go in the truck due to the road noise these tires generate. I've also noticed I've had to increase the radio volume to compensate for the tire road noise. At this point, I was just thinking I'd have to wait for these tire to wear down before I replace them.

Last week we got hit with snow - a LOT of wet snow... Previously with my BFG's, I had NO PROBLEMS in the snow whatsoever, even with no weight in the back. This time around, running the Toyo's was an absolute mess. It took me forever just to get out of my FLAT driveway and needed to actually drop to 4L to get out...

When the snow started falling and we had about 3-4" on the roads, I had to pick up my kids, so I found myself having to drive in 4H the entire way on the main road. I just couldn't believe how poor these things handled in the snow compared to the BFG's.

Has anyone else experienced poor handling and road noise out of these tires? I'm now to the point I want to call the dealer and see what can be done, or call a tire store to see if they'd take these in trade to swap them out to some BFG's.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellford
Last year, my BFG's (street/highway tire) wore out and I went looking for new tires. A buddy of mine talked me into the Toyo AT2's as he runs those on his doucheram. I was looking for a tire that had a more aggressive tread pattern mostly for the "look", as I don't do any off-roading (except when I head off on logging roads for a fishing twice a year).

I bought them from the local Ford dealer, however they were a special order as they don't normally carry them. As such, I'm kind of stuck with them - it's not like I can return them to the dealer if I don't like them.

Immediately I noticed the road noise out of these. It was brutal... One of my dogs now freaks right out when they go in the truck due to the road noise these tires generate. I've also noticed I've had to increase the radio volume to compensate for the tire road noise. At this point, I was just thinking I'd have to wait for these tire to wear down before I replace them.

Last week we got hit with snow - a LOT of wet snow... Previously with my BFG's, I had NO PROBLEMS in the snow whatsoever, even with no weight in the back. This time around, running the Toyo's was an absolute mess. It took me forever just to get out of my FLAT driveway and needed to actually drop to 4L to get out...

When the snow started falling and we had about 3-4" on the roads, I had to pick up my kids, so I found myself having to drive in 4H the entire way on the main road. I just couldn't believe how poor these things handled in the snow compared to the BFG's.

Has anyone else experienced poor handling and road noise out of these tires? I'm now to the point I want to call the dealer and see what can be done, or call a tire store to see if they'd take these in trade to swap them out to some BFG's.
I read 6 paragraphs... There's your answer!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never trust a guy that drives a dodge!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd still let Ford know what is going on - you never know.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I'm planning on giving them a call next week. I should have gone with either some replacement BFG's or the Nitto's.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I have been super impressed with the Wrangler Duratracs in the snow. I live in the mountains of Utah, and the Duratrac is by far the most popular tire around here. Even the Raptor guys(there are a lot in Park City) are swapping out their KO2's for the Duratracs.

I am on my 3rd set now(2 on my Jeep in a 265/70R16 and LT265/75R16 and 1 on my F150 in a 275/60R20) and am potentially buying a 4th depending on the size I go with. Road noise is not bad at all. I first put them on my Jeep after running some Blizzak DM-V1's and there was no difference in noise. They replaced the stock Bridgestones that came on my F150 and there was a very slight increase in noise.

Last edited by mass-hole; 02-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 652 Likes on 290 Posts

Ya I had the same experience with my last truck on at2 xtremes. Once they got a few miles on them and wear down a bit they get WORSE! There was one time right before I traded the truck in merging onto the highway and it was raining going over 60km and accelerating to highway speed I lost the rear end in a bad way, literally almost put it into the wall. I was so pissed about it I almost went right to the tire shop - but I knew I was getting a new truck in the near future.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The Bridgestone Dueler at/3's I believe look like a good tire - and if need a 10 ply they are lighter than most 10 plys.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm surprised that Toyo hasn't redesigned this tire. I had AT2's and they were absolute crap in the wet and snow

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country AT2's - What the hell?