Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Toyo 35x12.50x20 rubbing & spacers on FX4

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Toyo 35x12.50x20 rubbing & spacers on FX4

A few weeks ago I installed an Autospring 2.5" level kit and Toyo Open Country 35x12.50x20 on the FX4 factory wheels of my 2013 SCREW. I love the Toyo's but they rubbed on the upper control arm at full turn each way. So, I ordered and installed a 1" spacer all around. The spacer worked to eliminate the rubbing, but now my tires stick out further than I prefer. What I'm wanting to do is remove the 1" spacer and go with a 1/4" spacer (will still use factory lugs). I'm thinking to see if this will work before ordering the 1/4" spacer, I can stack washers on one wheel and see if I still experience any rubbing. Has anyone else tried this and can confirm that a 1/4" spacer will work to prevent me from testing something that has already been confirmed? Any opinions?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

For the love of God, do not use washers to space your wheels out.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^+1!! Yeah, no way, no how, dude. Figure out how much clearance you require to clear the UCA, and then do one of two things:

1. Stay with the 1" adaptors (we're lucky to be able to run such a small spacer with our FX4 wheels -- kudos to Ford for machining a space on the inner wheel wall), and purchase fender flares or maybe mud flaps. I can't fathom, though, how a 1/4" adaptor would fit without trimming the studs...

2. Purchase aftermarket wheels with an appropriate offset (0 / 5" backspace is my fav for clearing the UCAs; however, with 35x12.50s, you're still gonna poke out).

Maybe I misunderstood your post, though... If your truck is on a lift and you want to stack washers on the studs to re-create a 1/4" adaptor (notwithstanding that I don't think you're going to be able to use them w/out trimming your studs), then, yeah, no harm, no foul. But, please don't think of driving your truck like this even down your driveway.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I think by 1/4" spacers, he means shim spacers. I have seen them commonly used amongst lowered cars but I am not sure that a 6x135 1/4" spacer exists.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greywalls
^^^+1!! Yeah, no way, no how, dude. Figure out how much clearance you require to clear the UCA, and then do one of two things:

1. Stay with the 1" adaptors (we're lucky to be able to run such a small spacer with our FX4 wheels -- kudos to Ford for machining a space on the inner wheel wall), and purchase fender flares or maybe mud flaps. I can't fathom, though, how a 1/4" adaptor would fit without trimming the studs...

2. Purchase aftermarket wheels with an appropriate offset (0 / 5" backspace is my fav for clearing the UCAs; however, with 35x12.50s, you're still gonna poke out).

Maybe I misunderstood your post, though... If your truck is on a lift and you want to stack washers on the studs to re-create a 1/4" adaptor (notwithstanding that I don't think you're going to be able to use them w/out trimming your studs), then, yeah, no harm, no foul. But, please don't think of driving your truck like this even down your driveway.
This is what I meant. I would stack washers to create a 1/4" shim just to confirm if there was rubbing or not. I would simply apply the washers, let the truck down from the lift and check clearances. The difficulty in just measuring what I have now and doing the math is that I'm unable to measure the clearances at all points of the tire's left to right (steering) movement. If it passed the "rub" test after adding the 1/4 washers (again, to create a shim), I could simply mill down my 1" spacers to 1/4". I would think that the factory studs are plenty long enough that even if I lost 1/4" of threads, I'll still have enough threads to get a proper torque/thread engagement and utilize blue threadlock to prevent the lugs from wanting to back off.

Quick Reply: Toyo 35x12.50x20 rubbing & spacers on FX4