Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Tires rubbing only in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires rubbing only in reverse?

I have a 2016 F150 XLT. I have recently put on new wheels and tires that are 275/60R20 with a -25 offset on a 2 inch leveling kit in the front. When I am driving forward I am able to turn the wheel all the way with no rubbing at all in both directions. When I put the truck in reverse I am only able to make 1 full rotation of the wheel before the tires start to rub. I ordered them off custom offsets which says it a “guaranteed fit” which obviously isn’t the case. I did my research before hand and people have this setup without rub so I’m not sure why mine is doing it unless the leveling kit wasn’t installed properly? I put them on yesterday and have not had an alignment just yet as I plan to first thing Monday morning when the service shop opens up. Will the alignment fix it, or am I going to have to cut away at the inside wall? Trying to avoid any cutting as it’s a newer truck and don’t really want to make any “permanent” changes. Please save any negative comments and please help with a possible solution. Any help is appreciated!!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 652 Likes on 290 Posts

Mine rub in the exact same situation. I have 285/60/20 ridge grapplers on +1. Sounds like it’s just rubbing the fender liner so I’m not going to cut anything, like you I don’t want to cut on a new truck. Mine isn’t that bad of a rub.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Glad I’m not the only one lol but I don’t think it too big of a deal, it’s only rubbing a slight amount. I heard of rolling the fenders with a heat gun but I’ve never tried that before?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

-25 puts your tire in the middle of your fender well... were it's not supposed to be.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:44 PM

-25 is not even close to the middle, it stick out 2 inches max
Old 03-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Scook1928
-25 is not even close to the middle, it stick out 2 inches max
Then what’s the problem?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Welcome to the site, Scook!

You'll need to modify the plastic liner in some way to resolve the rubbing. You could use a heat gun to "remold" the liner at the point where the tires make contact. You could also drill a couple of holes in the liner and zip tie it back.

The only other option would be to change the wheels and go with a higher offset..
I appreciate the feedback! I just found out it’s actually rubbing up on the crash bar, trying to avoid cutting them out completely but I’ve seen a way to reverse the driver and passenger side for extra clearance. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Also depends on how bad it's rubbing. Mine rubbed in reverse at full lock, turned either direction. Went away after about 8K miles on the tires. Mine barely rubbed. Sounds like yours may be similar.

Tons of people here spread the crash bars. Couple of well placed hits with a hammer may fix your rubbing issue.

My tires were only rubbing the wheel well and my mud flaps. (I don't think my model year has crash bars) Small cut of the inside edge of my mudflap fixed most of my issue. Rubbing went away before I got around to modifying the wheel well. And then I added more lift, so it was no longer a problem.

Quick Reply: Tires rubbing only in reverse?