Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Need tire help for 2015 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need tire help for 2015 F150

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I was here. This forum was instrumental to me when I ordered my 2015 back in the day, and I'm hoping you all can help me again today.

I'm looking to upgrade my stock wheels and tires. I currently have 275/65R18 tires. I'm looking to go to 20" wheels, and get the 2" leveling lift. What are the biggest tires I can get with the stock suspension? I tow a 34' travel trailer so the tires need to be good for towing as well. (I'm really hoping better tires will make the towing experience better!)

Here are some more relevant details:
I have the 2.7L Ecoboost engine
Supercrew
Max tow package

Thank you!

Last edited by ebrouwer; 03-27-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You ask about stock suspension but mention 2” lift so might help to clarify what your looking for but in the end you’ll wanna check out the 2015+ thread it includes a link to a spreadsheet with a lot of information. Your question is WAY more complicated than you think... if your getting aftermarket wheels the offset will dictate a lot. So have a look at the various threads with pics to figure out what your after would be my recommendation. Or just take it to a local trustworthy tire shop and let them do the work for you if your looking for an easy answer.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by GreenScrew
You ask about stock suspension but mention 2” lift so might help to clarify what your looking for but in the end you’ll wanna check out the 2015+ thread it includes a link to a spreadsheet with a lot of information. Your question is WAY more complicated than you think... if your getting aftermarket wheels the offset will dictate a lot. So have a look at the various threads with pics to figure out what your after would be my recommendation. Or just take it to a local trustworthy tire shop and let them do the work for you if your looking for an easy answer.
GS, I appreciate your reply! Maybe lift was the wrong word. I want to level the front. That's the only lift I'm looking to do.

When you say the 2015+ thread, do you mean the 2015 - Present Ford F150 section? If not, could you post a link to that spreadsheet? I'd really like to see that.

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

just my thoughts 18'' tires are cheaper to buy & readily available in any size??
Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
275/65R-20 or 295/60R-20 are popular options but it will depend on the wheel dimensions (Width/Offset).

Bumping up to a larger 20" combo may actually hurt your towing experience though. The taller tires will impact the gear ratio and a 20" combo is going to weigh more.

You mentioned that you hope the tires will make towing better - can you expand on that? What are you experiencing when you tow now?
Originally Posted by maco
just my thoughts 18'' tires are cheaper to buy & readily available in any size??
I don't want to add any undo stress on the front end, so I want as close to a 0 offset as possible.

If memory serves, the towing capacity on my truck is 11700 and my camper is 6000. I've towed this same camper with a RAM and a GMC. Will the Ford has way more towing capacity, it sways way more than the others. I assume some of that has to do with the lighter weight of the truck itself. I have a sway bar and torsion bars. I've varied the hitch height and where I store things in the camper. The Ford just feels soft and feels like it rolls.

My thought was going with a bigger rim I could reduce the height of the sidewall. I was thinking maybe the tires themselves were flexing and introducing the sway. I have the stock Goodyear Wranglers and they have a load index of 116T.

Quick Reply: Need tire help for 2015 F150