Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Lightest AT/MT tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lightest AT/MT tires?

So we all no with size comes the added weight...im looking for a 33 or 35" tire 12.5 wide...I have nitto trail graps and they are 295x60x20 and are very very heavy... I want a tire that will wear the best ..so far I have picked toyo at2 ?? My trail graps at 10k miles and are half shot already
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to do the research on tirerack.com and the manufacturers websites. I doubt anyone has checked them all in both sizes and can give a definite answer.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by parkgt
Sounds like you need to do the research on tirerack.com and the manufacturers websites. I doubt anyone has checked them all in both sizes and can give a definite answer.
Just wanted a general opinion, over all will experiences and everything..which brands to stay away from and such, duratracs. Nitto. BFG. Procomp cooper .. Sounds like toyo has the longest mile warrenty with the at2
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had the Toyo M/T 35x12.5r18 and it came in at 81lbs.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by parkgt
He's absolutely correct.
In fact, you could've already got the answers you're looking for. It's not time-consuming, and while making sure you're getting CORRECT info, you'll also get the REAL tire size(and RPM's, you'll need this if you use an SCT programmer)-which you'll need if you want to correct your speedo for the bigger tires.
Nittotire.com, bfgoodrich.com, toyotires.com .. I don't know which manufacturer(s) you're considering, but these are a few of the most popular.
FWIW, tires will generally be lighter the lower the weight rating, i.e. my Falkens in the 305/65/18(33x12.50") size are 'E' rated tires. They can carry well over 3k pounds each, but weigh close to 75 lbs each in doing so. Conversely, a BFG ATKO in the 285/70/17(33x11.50) size is a 'D' rated tire, thus weighs TWENTY POUNDS less.
For whatever reason, off-road tires for 18" wheels come predominately with the 'E' rating. If you're trying to get the lightest off-road tires you can, I'd strongly advise staying away from 18" wheels, and try to find one in the size you want, carrying a 'C' rating. They can be lighter still. You just gotta read the numbers before you pull the trigger
I'd owned 25/3500 HD's prior to my F150, thus always went with 18" wheels and 'E' rated tires. Unfortunately I bought my wheels and tires before I realized my truck would penalize me fuel mileage wise, or else I wouldn't have bought 'em. Who the heck really needs a 14k combined weight capacity on the 1/2 ton truck...?
BTW...I went to BFG's site while I was writing this to get the tire info I posted. Lickity-split and easy-peazy, lemon-squeezy.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on Nitto, BFG, and Toyo tires. Looks like you're wanting a 20" AT tire, so that what I looked at. All of Nitto's 20" tires are 'E' rated, and only the BFG 285/55/20 was a 'D'. It's only a 32" tire, so that won't work for you either. Toyo had what would be considered a '35'" tire(it actually measures out to 34.x, but most 35's do anyway) in a 'D' rating, and it only weighs around 55lbs. Prolly an easy 10lbs less than what you have on there now. Maybe even more, as your tires carry a max 80psi inflation rating, so they gotta have some SERIOUS steel built into 'em.
Back to the Toyo...it's 34.x by 11.5 inches wide, so you'll also gain mileage(and acceleration if that's what you're looking for) over a 12.50 due to less friction. Believe me, my 12.50's suck a LOT of fuel simply from the extra inch of rubber meeting the road. I've compared them to narrower tires of the same height, and it's ridiculous how much that extra inch kills mileage(and acceleration).
I did NOT look at any mud-terrains, as it doesn't seem like you're interested in those. Muds generally carry lighter load ratings however, so if all else fails, you might want to look into them.
Good luck!

Last edited by yokev; 01-03-2013 at 03:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yokev:
ernierob130 (01-03-2013), ZAF920 (02-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Lightest AT/MT tires?