Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Fuel wheels...matte or gloss black??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Fuel wheels...matte or gloss black??

Considering a set of Fuel Mavericks or Contras in black and milled. I know matte vs gloss is highly subjective but from a cleaning and maintenance point of view, which would you get? I'm seeing a lot of varying opinions about which is easier to maintain. Also, for you matte owners, Fuel's matte black is more of a satin than a flat, right? It looks like it has a bit of sheen to it in the pics I have looked at. Thanks!

**EDIT**
I guess I should specify, when I say cleaning and maintenance, I guess I really mean durability as well. I typically keep my truck very, very clean so I'm not too worried about the rims looking dirty. They will never be covered with brake dust or the like. It's also pretty much a pavement princess. They will never be covered with mud unless I run off the road, lol. It seems like the gloss would be easier to keep clean staying on top of it like I do but I'm worried the gloss will also show more scratches (can't stop everything) than the matte.

Last edited by Starquestbd22; 03-29-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Matte Matte Matte
Old 03-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Ran a set of black/machined hostages for years through summer and winter and the finish of these are beyond my expectations. No rock damage from the gravel they throw out in winter and they clean off easy. I would vote matte too though, The gloss will be a pain in the *** in the winter. When new the rims do look satin but after 4 winters theyre pretty much matte now. I use the mequires tire shine so it over sprays really bad but i just take my rim rag to wipe down the lips of the rim with the over spray and that will give it a bit of sheen.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

To me, it really depends on whether you have any gloss black trim on your truck. If you do, or have dark tinted windows, then the gloss works. If not, and you just have the black plastic trim than maybe the matte. I personally prefer the gloss. It leaves a bit of a contrast between the wheel and the tire.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by notmportant
To me, it really depends on whether you have any gloss black trim on your truck. If you do, or have dark tinted windows, then the gloss works. If not, and you just have the black plastic trim than maybe the matte. I personally prefer the gloss. It leaves a bit of a contrast between the wheel and the tire.
Funny you say this because i was beside a black 4 runner today with some matte black wheels and to me it didnt look right.

Quick Reply: Fuel wheels...matte or gloss black??