Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Black or Chrome rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black or Chrome rims?

Hey Everyone. I am having a hard time deciding between chrome or black rims. Chromes would be a pair of platinum rims I am looking at buying or
Black ones would be aftermarket ones. I plan on getting a leveling kit. Black I would have to worry about salt from winter. Stock platinum ones I would not. My truck is Silver so I am thinking the platinum rims might look better. Need some opinions. I attached some pics I found on the internet. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-25-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

never cared for black rims personally, just too much with the black tires. chrome has it's appeal to some but to me it's been lost - just too many out there. my truck is silver and i went with a black and silver set this time. i like the results. they tie in nicely with everything else i have done, and plan to do.

as far as winter, well that's easy. there are constantly sets of stock wheels on cl and cheap too. i just looked on mine and there were at least 7-10 sets ranging from $100-$300. get some good winter tires and be worry free all year. i just threw some blizzaks on my stock wheels (which are chrome - it's everywhere).

Last edited by nineball; 12-25-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm not a fan of black or chrome, but technically the Platinums are neither. They're polished aluminum. Much nicer look, IMO. I also think factory Ford wheels look better than most of the aftermarket offerings for these trucks, and you can usually find low mileage takeoffs on craigslist for pretty cheap, sometimes with almost new tires.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Not my truck but those stock rims do look sharp with the right tire: Plus aftermarket wheels can be hard to balance compared to stock.

I'm thinking of putting my stock rims back on, would get one size bigger tire and go with some bora spacers.

Welcome to the forum and check out the last few pages of this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/level...thread-301172/

Last edited by bobn; 12-27-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Black rims sometimes look really good, but they are way overplayed. Any wheels/truck will have the potential to look great with the right amount of contrast. Black rims on black truck is tough to pull off. Alot of ppl will say it looks good, but quite frankly its a wash out, same as gray truck. I have the magnetic metallic f150 and it has been a challenge to get the right color rim to make it pop. Would you have the shingles on your roof that are the exact color of the brick on your house? Absolutely not in a million years. Rims are the same if you really want it to look good, and we are being honest, but people are going too far with the black rim looks good on any color. It doesn't. There are many rim color options and it really depends on your truck color.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:06 PM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts

I have a black truck, black wheels and am in the process of making everything else that is not black (fender F150 badges, tailgate oval, etc..) black. I do really like the look of the black wheels on my black truck. that said... if I ever do replace the wheels, I will probably go with either all Chrome or Bronze. Not so much that I don't like the black wheels but just to break it up a little bit.

Personally, though I do like black wheels on our trucks.

Quick Reply: Black or Chrome rims?