Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Who is smart, brave and compassionate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Who is smart, brave and compassionate?

No, this is not a personal ad for some male company. It's a cry for help from a simple man who just wants to upgrade the s***** stereo in his new truck. I've pored over countless posts...lurked in threads...joined car audio forums...I'm still dumber than when I started researching all this s***.

I have a 2012 F150 with navigation and 'premium' sound. Premium if you're from Bangladesh and are upgrading from a ghetto blaster bungeed to the front of your scooter.

I want to make some changes, piece by piece. I plan to keep the factory head unit, upgrade the front speakers (doors/pillars), amplify those same speakers and replace the factory sub with an amp/sub combo. In summation, I'll be adding two amplifiers to the set-up.

1) Can I get by with a 6-channel processor even though I have 8 speakers? I only am replacing and amplifying the doors, pillars and sub. The rears and center-channel are being left as is. Is this possible or do I have to address all 8 channels?

2) I presume no matter what processor I use, I'll need to add a mini-fused circuit and delay timer to eliminate speaker popping issues? (brought up in JBL MS-8 thread)

3) The processor is added in the chain after the factory (Sony) amp?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by lakers08
No, this is not a personal ad for some male company. It's a cry for help from a simple man who just wants to upgrade the s***** stereo in his new truck. I've pored over countless posts...lurked in threads...joined car audio forums...I'm still dumber than when I started researching all this s***.

I have a 2012 F150 with navigation and 'premium' sound. Premium if you're from Bangladesh and are upgrading from a ghetto blaster bungeed to the front of your scooter.

I want to make some changes, piece by piece. I plan to keep the factory head unit, upgrade the front speakers (doors/pillars), amplify those same speakers and replace the factory sub with an amp/sub combo. In summation, I'll be adding two amplifiers to the set-up.

1) Can I get by with a 6-channel processor even though I have 8 speakers? I only am replacing and amplifying the doors, pillars and sub. The rears and center-channel are being left as is. Is this possible or do I have to address all 8 channels?

2) I presume no matter what processor I use, I'll need to add a mini-fused circuit and delay timer to eliminate speaker popping issues? (brought up in JBL MS-8 thread)

3) The processor is added in the chain after the factory (Sony) amp?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
The tweeters should be crossed over with the main speaker so you really have only 5 channels if doing all the speakers. If doing just the front then you will have 2 channels there plus one for the sub. The processor would go in line before the amp.
I would try upgrading the speakers and changing out the sub before I eliminated the Sony amp. IMO

Quick Reply: Who is smart, brave and compassionate?