Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Where to pull Accessory Power, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Where to pull Accessory Power, 2012

So I found Fuse 38 in the kick panel has accessory power, that stays on with the key until I open the door (delayed off I think that's called). Which is mostly what I want.

EXCEPT, the accessory power doesn't stay on when starting the truck. Which means after it's started, I end up having to wait for the stereo to boot up before it'll display my backup camera. Which is annoying, even if it's only 20 seconds, as I'm used to just jumping in the truck and going.

Anyone know of an accessory power source that stays ON when the key is in START? I'd be willing to give up the delayed off to get that.
Maybe instrument panel lights?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
So I found Fuse 38 in the kick panel has accessory power, that stays on with the key until I open the door (delayed off I think that's called). Which is mostly what I want.

EXCEPT, the accessory power doesn't stay on when starting the truck. Which means after it's started, I end up having to wait for the stereo to boot up before it'll display my backup camera. Which is annoying, even if it's only 20 seconds, as I'm used to just jumping in the truck and going.

Anyone know of an accessory power source that stays ON when the key is in START? I'd be willing to give up the delayed off to get that.
Maybe instrument panel lights?
Don't all stereos have to boot up after starting the truck? What you have is a slow booting stereo. You could wire it direct and have to turn the stereo off and on manually but it would still have to boot up.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Don't all stereos have to boot up after starting the truck? What you have is a slow booting stereo. You could wire it direct and have to turn the stereo off and on manually but it would still have to boot up.
Of course it would still have to boot up.

But if I have accessory power that stays on while the truck is starting (key in the start position), then this time would be used for bootup.

As it is now. When my key goes to ACC the CD player starts booting up. When the key is in START it turns back off. When the key returns to ON it starts booting up again.

There are systems on the truck that stay on when they key is in start. I just will have to find one of them. Though it would be easier if someone already had the answer
Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

that's just the way it is. any true acc power will go to 0V when you start it. if you want it to stay on when starting then you need an ignition wire and you will loose the retained accessory.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kipp
that's just the way it is. any true acc power will go to 0V when you start it. if you want it to stay on when starting then you need an ignition wire and you will loose the retained accessory.
You mean staying on when the key is removed? I'm fine with that.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kytann
You mean staying on when the key is removed? I'm fine with that.
If you want it to stay on when starting you will need to use an ignition wire.It will turn off as soon as you turn the key to off position.
Retained power is when it stays on after the key is removed or the door is opened. You will lose that function.
Or you could wire it to an unswitched power source and never have it turn off unless you use the HU power switch.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

It takes all of about 0.5 to 1 second to start the truck. I'm not sure it is worth the effort to require anything to gain that back.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
It takes all of about 0.5 to 1 second to start the truck. I'm not sure it is worth the effort to require anything to gain that back.
He doesn't want to have the HU reboot after he starts the truck
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
If you want it to stay on when starting you will need to use an ignition wire.It will turn off as soon as you turn the key to off position.
Retained power is when it stays on after the key is removed or the door is opened. You will lose that function.
Or you could wire it to an unswitched power source and never have it turn off unless you use the HU power switch.

I know ALL of this information.
However, there are sources of power that turn on with the key, and stay on when starting.

I'm hoping someone has a wiring diagram and can tell me what that is, or at least some wires to get me close, as testing each individual wire with a multi-meter and a sewing needle becomes tedious.

If no one knows, I'll go the tedious route, and try and find something. If I am successful, I'll post it. But that will involve alot of start cycles on my starter.

Quick Reply: Where to pull Accessory Power, 2012