Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Where are the main ground points 15+

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Where are the main ground points 15+

Long story short after chasing some strange feed back throught my subwoofer with the rca's disconnected. I have absolutely narrowed it down.

If I turn the stereo on without the key in the ignition the sub is quiet at 0 - 30 volume. As soon as I key the ignition on I get a very faint almost ticking noise through the woofer withand without any inputs connected. It is some kinda feed back from the ignition.

I am thinking maybe a factory ground is loose and want to go through them all. I am grounded to the rear wall factory point and powered directly from the battery. 8ga cable as recommended by JL and the largest that will fit their connector.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 PM

I should mention it is not audible through the front channels, only the subwoofer.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

8g is cheap. try running a line directly to the battery ground and see what happens.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

In addition to that ground, check your remote wire. Just disconnect it and make a small jumper from the positive to the remote terminal and see if the sound disappears.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos
In addition to that ground, check your remote wire. Just disconnect it and make a small jumper from the positive to the remote terminal and see if the sound disappears.
Originally that is where I discovered the problem. Using the REM the sub would tick at 0 volume with inputs disconnected. When I would jump the remote directly from the battery the tick was gone. So I went ahead and went to signal sense for turn on. It seemed to have worked good until I realized when the ignition was keyed the sound returned. I moved my ground 3 times and have tried grounding straight to the battery....no dice. It has to be coming through the power cable.

Quick Reply: Where are the main ground points 15+