Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What’s best to set this stuff up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Default What’s best to set this stuff up?

Ok so I’m an admitted cheapskate and I came across a free stash of older car audio equipment- all in good condition as far as I can tell.

What i got:
1 Kicker CVComp 6.5” 4ohm sub
1 RF Punch 55.2 amp
2 RF Punch 40i amps
1 RF Punch 100.2 amp

What I’ve currently got:
Kenwood DDX3728T touch screen DD
4 Sony Xplod XS-R5743
(All in the truck when I got it.)

My plan:
- Replace one door speaker with the Kicker CVComp and run the RFP 100 amp to it.

I really value my under-seat space in the supercrew so if I can get away with not having it under the seat, I want to.

Recommendations?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Lots of room behind the rear passenger seat for an amplifier or two.

Originally Posted by Lenn
My plan:
- Replace one door speaker with the Kicker CVComp and run the RFP 100 amp to it.
NO, no, and NO! That will sound like ***. That subwoofer is so small you could stick it behind the rear seat with the amplifier. It needs to be in an enclosure... it can't run in a door as a subwoofer. Plus, you would wreck your stereo sound stage. It would sound like a turd.

I would install the 55.2 to power the front speakers that you have, keep the rear speakers off the HU, and bridge the 100.2 to the CVComp 6.5” 4ohm sub... which should be in the proper sized enclosure. Both amplifiers and a small sealed enclosure for the 6.5 sub should fit behind that rear passenger seat. If not, you can put an amplifier or two in that space near the back under the rear seat where the little divider is (that little area that is good for tools, not sure what it is called).
Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos
Lots of room behind the rear passenger seat for an amplifier or two.

NO, no, and NO! That will sound like ***. That subwoofer is so small you could stick it behind the rear seat with the amplifier. It needs to be in an enclosure... it can't run in a door as a subwoofer. Plus, you would wreck your stereo sound stage. It would sound like a turd.

I would install the 55.2 to power the front speakers that you have, keep the rear speakers off the HU, and bridge the 100.2 to the CVComp 6.5” 4ohm sub... which should be in the proper sized enclosure. Both amplifiers and a small sealed enclosure for the 6.5 sub should fit behind that rear passenger seat. If not, you can put an amplifier or two in that space near the back under the rear seat where the little divider is (that little area that is good for tools, not sure what it is called).
Good to know. I also should have mentioned that I have a 11th gen supercrew so access to behind the seat is difficult and there isn’t much there.

What do you recommend me watch/read as far as getting to know proper ins/outs of amp installations (bridge/wiring in series, etc)? I’ve hesrd the term bridging before but no idea what that means.

Do the components that are currently installed in the truck sound like they’re ok for decent sound quality? I don’t want to rattle windows but I want to mimic the sound of a clean OE sound system.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Still, you need very little space for a 6.5 subwoofer... probably 0.3ft3. Looking at pictures, there still seems to be that space right under where the top and bottom of the where the seat cushions meet after you fold it up where you could mount two amplifiers nicely. Once the amps/sub are installed behind the rear seat and set up, you won't need to access them again. The 100.2 amplifier is quite small, especially if you take the wings off (I had a 360.6 and 40.2 way back in the day... I still have the middle link piece that makes two of the punch amplifiers look like one).

Or you may be able to fit an amplifier under each front seat.

Don't worry about series/parallel. That is a single voice coil 4ohm subwoofer. Here is a link to the manual. Page 15 shows you how to hook up that subwoofer to the speaker terminals. Plus everything else you may want to know.-- Direct link did not work. Click the first PDF in the search.

Yes. Keep what you have in there.

Last edited by Kanadian-kaos; 06-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I really appreciate it man. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Administrator

In adendum to the thanks above, do you recommend a sealed or potted enclosure for a small sub like this?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Dang. Saw a video about that generation and the rear seat removal. What a PITA. You would have to pull that rear wall trim piece and see what is behind it to know if you could make a cutout so you could mount some gear back there. I saw two amplifiers mounted behind the seat of a 2007 extended cab... not sure if the space is different in a supercrew but it may be worth pulling the rear top back seat to look.

EDIT. To save space and since you don't want to rattle windows, stick with sealed.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Ok so I’m an admitted cheapskate and I came across a free stash of older car audio equipment- all in good condition as far as I can tell.

What i got:
1 Kicker CVComp 6.5” 4ohm sub
1 RF Punch 55.2 amp
2 RF Punch 40i amps
1 RF Punch 100.2 amp

What I’ve currently got:
Kenwood DDX3728T touch screen DD
4 Sony Xplod XS-R5743
(All in the truck when I got it.)

My plan:

I really value my under-seat space in the supercrew so if I can get away with not having it under the seat, I want to.

Recommendations?
You got some nice stuff for free. Try just using the sub amp to add a small sub and see how it sounds. You may not even need to add an amp for the door speakers. Just getting that low end will help the sound in your truck
Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

In adendum to the thanks above, do you recommend a sealed or potted enclosure for a small sub like this?
Really depends on what kind of music you listen to. For country, rock, easy listening I'd suggest a sealed box. It will produce a much tighter bass note and hit. If you like EDM, rap, pop, etc. then a ported box can't be beat due to the prolonged bass roll you get.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Quick Reply: What’s best to set this stuff up?