Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What are my 2013 Sony/NAV Aftermarket options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What are my 2013 Sony/NAV Aftermarket options?

I've changed out my factory speakers to Focals with the hope that this alone would satisfy my desire to upgrade the Sony system but it did not. I've read as much as I could find on this forum as well as talked with several local stereo shops but still have not decided how to go about setting up an aftermarket amp for the new speakers as well as a new sub. The biggest problem I have is deciding on which DSP to use such as JL Cleansweep, Fosgate 3sixty, Mosconi etc. I've been told by a reputable local shop who's done 3 2013 F150 Sony systems already that the Sony factory amp cuts out fairly early on its output and to get the best sound I would have to get signal before the factory amp and input into a Mosconi DSP. The only problem with this setup is that I would lose volume control and would have to add their DSP controller which would control the volume but I would lose steering wheel volume control. They said this was necessary because the midrange signal specifically was the signal that was lost early. Anyone out there have any specific concrete knowledge contradicting this? And does anyone know if this is true because of any changes from previous years to the 2013 model year - meaning maybe this was not true for 2012 and earlier years but is for 2013. The reason I ask this is I notice that even the Maestro system does not appear to be compatible with 2013 Sony.Nav. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Ford has changed things up in 2013 models that have Sony systems. It is going to take a little time for aftermarket companies to come up with solutions.
The following users liked this post:
frampi (03-28-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM

That's the main problem I have is determining if there were actual differences between 2012 and 2013 systems. It seems as though some are saying they are the same but others are saying that there are actual differences and I'd like to know for sure before proceeding.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 2012 with the Sony Nav system and know nothing of the 13's. You still should have the "amp" under the center counsel with an analog audio single going to it.

I agree with your installer about losing volume control, but all of the sound processer that I've seen have a volume that you'll need to use. Some of the sound processors can be installed after the amp. The factor volume ***** will still function but then you still have the problem with the factory rolloff being different at different volumes.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rcoles871
I've changed out my factory speakers to Focals with the hope that this alone would satisfy my desire to upgrade the Sony system but it did not. I've read as much as I could find on this forum as well as talked with several local stereo shops but still have not decided how to go about setting up an aftermarket amp for the new speakers as well as a new sub. The biggest problem I have is deciding on which DSP to use such as JL Cleansweep, Fosgate 3sixty, Mosconi etc. I've been told by a reputable local shop who's done 3 2013 F150 Sony systems already that the Sony factory amp cuts out fairly early on its output and to get the best sound I would have to get signal before the factory amp and input into a Mosconi DSP. The only problem with this setup is that I would lose volume control and would have to add their DSP controller which would control the volume but I would lose steering wheel volume control. They said this was necessary because the midrange signal specifically was the signal that was lost early. Anyone out there have any specific concrete knowledge contradicting this? And does anyone know if this is true because of any changes from previous years to the 2013 model year - meaning maybe this was not true for 2012 and earlier years but is for 2013. The reason I ask this is I notice that even the Maestro system does not appear to be compatible with 2013 Sony.Nav. Thanks in advance.
Since you've swapped your speakers, could you post the speaker sizes? I've searched around and looked on Crutchfield, but they list 5 1/4, 6 1/2 and 6x9's as all fitting the 2013 model (with Sony system). Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM

I put focal 6.5" coax in the rear doors and 6.5" component if front. I couldn't find adapter plates since the factory size was 6"x8" so I made custom adapters out of 1/4" Starboard plastic from West marine (local installers use it). It worked great. Had to sand the pillar tweeter holes just a little then the focal tweeters fit in very nice and tight.
The following users liked this post:
jgohlke (03-24-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rcoles871
I put focal 6.5" coax in the rear doors and 6.5" component if front. I couldn't find adapter plates since the factory size was 6"x8" so I made custom adapters out of 1/4" Starboard plastic from West marine (local installers use it). It worked great. Had to sand the pillar tweeter holes just a little then the focal tweeters fit in very nice and tight.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound better?

Did you notice any change in sound quality by just changing out the speakers? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'm wanting to only add some subs (to start) and I'm not sure if I just throw in the high-to-low convertor at the sub wiring or if I need to remove the center console and tap in there after the Sony amp or what. Not to mention do I need to run a basic high-to-low convertor or an actual DSP? Too many questions on this new truck...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Better SQ but not enough volume even with new speakers

Quick Reply: What are my 2013 Sony/NAV Aftermarket options?