Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What do yall think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pieceing together a system for my truck and don't want to spend a fortune but I want some half decent stuff. I'm installing pioneer TS-A6874R 6x8 3 ways in the front and rear (I do not want components or amped door speakers)...got em for 90 bucks shipped on eBay including next day air (Amazon Prime is fantastic).

I'm sure this will clean up the distortion and sound tons better. With my 10 FX4 I have the stock stereo with sync so I have absolutely no bass...so I did some research and decided on running 2 shallow mount pioneer TS-W3001 4 ohm subs (400 rms a piece) and wiring it to 2 ohm off a kicker ZX750.1 amp. I had the zx running an L7 in my old truck and had fantastic results with it...as far as I know for the money the amp is a great choice.

As for the box I'm just gonna go with the supercrew sounds dual 12" box in black as I feel I could build the box but don't want to screw up and waste time and money.

I'm still a bit unsure on the line out converter I'm going to use, ive heard PAC makes one that plugs straight into the factory harness so any suggestions there would be great.

Again this isn't supposed to be a killer system, just something that can get pretty damn loud when I want and exponentially better sound quality than the stock system.

Last edited by bossman15; 03-22-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PAC was easy and works,,,, thats all I can add
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want it loud with solid sound quality and without distortion, amplifying the speakers is an absolute must. You can find cheap 4 channel amplifiers, even something that does 50 watts per channel will be miles and miles better than stock. No point in getting new speakers if you are only feeding them 4-8 watts RMS per channel that most headunits provide (any HU that claims 20+ RMS per channel is total BS).
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Installed the speakers this afternoon and it sounds better, tenfold.

mSaLL150, thanks for the info. I am perfectly content with the speakers running off the head unit as it is for now. If I were to add a 4 channel I would have to run power to each individual speaker wire (+ and - at each door) correct? I just dont know if I want to go through that much extra wiring especially dealing with factory wires on this truck, my old truck I would have but it was also 7 years old, not 2.

Thanks crackin
Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bossman15
Installed the speakers this afternoon and it sounds better, tenfold.

mSaLL150, thanks for the info. I am perfectly content with the speakers running off the head unit as it is for now. If I were to add a 4 channel I would have to run power to each individual speaker wire (+ and - at each door) correct? I just dont know if I want to go through that much extra wiring especially dealing with factory wires on this truck, my old truck I would have but it was also 7 years old, not 2.

Thanks crackin
I guess my ears are old and tired. I power my door speakers off the factory HU and it has plenty loudness and sounds great to me. Like you I did not want to go through the expense and time to wire the doors. Start with powering off the HU and see how it sounds. If you want more then go back and install an amp.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
I guess my ears are old and tired. I power my door speakers off the factory HU and it has plenty loudness and sounds great to me. Like you I did not want to go through the expense and time to wire the doors. Start with powering off the HU and see how it sounds. If you want more then go back and install an amp.

I agree my kicker door speakers sound good enough without an amp, but then again I 've never heard them with an amp either..
Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

I agree with both of yall. Tally man good to see some more Leon county folks on here.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boss, take a look at this thread for a good option for amping your door speakers without running new wires or power. I did it, as have many others, with good results. Won't be a blow out the windows system improvement but for the cost and labor involved it is a very nice improvement and might be just what your looking for to help with the new door speakers to compliment your other improvements. Uses a small Alpine KTP-445 4ch. amp that is powered off the HU to amp the door speakers. good thread with a lot of info. Might even want to try this first before putting in a sub and see if it creates enough bass through your door speakers to satisfy your tastes.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/small-...stalled-96750/
Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Never knew there was anything out like that. Thanks a lot for the info! I'll definitely check into that after I get the subs in.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I keep going back and forth on the 4-channel amp install posted above. Minimal expense and fairly easy install. It sounds good now but may sound better with the amp. Just dunno.

I am actually living in Crawfordville now. But I did move to Tally in 89. Hence the user name...Tallyman89

Quick Reply: What do yall think?