Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Upgrading My Truck Audio.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrading My Truck Audio.

Hello, just purchased a 2011 F150 XLT yesterday.

Pretty excited about the new truck as it is my first new vehicle I've ever owned. (I'm 23).

I would like to upgrade the sound system in the truck but I have absolutely no knowledge on car audio systems in the slightest. I will have to go somewhere and get the stuff and have them install it for me. What I want tho is to keep the factory HU, and update the speakers, and then i imagine i would be looking at getting an amp and subs? Any advice on what I should look for, what you would recommend, and how much i should be expecting something like this to cost.

- I am by no means an audiophile, (as you can probably tell by reading this post). While I want to upgrade, the stock system actually sounds good to my ears as it is, so I'm not going to have to spend an absorbent amount of money on the highest end equipment in order to be happy.
-Budget isnt a huge issue, i was hoping maybe $500, but i'm flexible. I understand that I will get what I pay for.
-What can i expect to be looking at for an upgrade?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM

- So basically i'm just looking to upgrade my stock system while keeping the head unit. What will I be looking for? I just want something that will sound good, I imagine what i'm looking for is just an average system (that is nice sounding) with some bass to it.

-sorry for the uneducated question but hoping some guys (or girls) out there would be able to send me in the right direction.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you want that your stock system does not give you?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2010FX4F150GILROY
What do you want that your stock system does not give you?
Hmm well I guess I dont exactly know. It really doesnt sound that bad to me. I suppose better base and just an overall improved system altogether. I dont have a really keen ear for audio, ha even the stock crap system in my 2000 contour doesnt sound horrible to me ... So I guess just some decent bass ( i'm not one of those guys who will ride around with the bass all the way up and disturb the whole neighborhood, but i do like it to a degree. ) and speakers that sound clear and good. Sorry that I cant give a whole lot of insight. I guess i'm hoping more for guys to tell me what i want. If that makes sense.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyones taste is different as there budget. My opiion is that anything less then the Sony Nav needs replacement, thats just me. Been in car audio since 8 tracks were popular. So on a small budget start with a small amp and sub, then 5 channel amp and speakers, then new head unit, then DVD player and so on. I could run the spendometer to 5 grand without thinking to much about it... The best idea is to create a plan of what you want for a final product then figure out what to do and when so you dont have to buy things twice... My opinion....
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded the system in my new 2010 xlt, and I too was trying to keep it on a relatively low budget, so this is what I did
- bought 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 8 by 7 inch speakers on amazon ~$200
- Polk audio 600 watt 4 channel amp
- Audio control LC6i (digital line out controller) ~$120, a must
- a ground interference eliminator ~15 bucks. Got rid of a faint high pitched whirring noise that occurred after everything was installed
- about 50 bucks in wiring.
I also knew nothing about systems before but I looked online and installed the speakers myself, crazy easy.
The amp and LC6i was installed by a friend at best buy for bout 100 bucks.
Sounds great, especially considering there is no sub. Gets plenty loud, uncomfortably so at about 2/3 volume, with no distortion. The LC6i allows you to keep your stock head unit and still get great performance out of your aftermarket equipment
Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mscurtis2010
I just upgraded the system in my new 2010 xlt, and I too was trying to keep it on a relatively low budget, so this is what I did
- bought 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 8 by 7 inch speakers on amazon ~$200
- Polk audio 600 watt 4 channel amp
- Audio control LC6i (digital line out controller) ~$120, a must
- a ground interference eliminator ~15 bucks. Got rid of a faint high pitched whirring noise that occurred after everything was installed
- about 50 bucks in wiring.
I also knew nothing about systems before but I looked online and installed the speakers myself, crazy easy.
The amp and LC6i was installed by a friend at best buy for bout 100 bucks.
Sounds great, especially considering there is no sub. Gets plenty loud, uncomfortably so at about 2/3 volume, with no distortion. The LC6i allows you to keep your stock head unit and still get great performance out of your aftermarket equipment
thanks this is much more helpful. Like i said i'm not trying to spend 5 grand, while i know that it would be possible. I'm not going to replace the HU or add a dvd player or anything of that nature. What I was thinking was replacing the speakers (i imagine that this is the most important thing). And then getting an amp and a sub or two.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Cheapest route is just to replace the speakers and will net you a huge improvement over the quality of sound coming from your system.

You can spend $80 on ebay or sonic electronics for a nice pair of speakers that give you good DB response that will work well with the factory HU. Figure on less than $200 if you do it yourself (very easy with basic tools and no experience).

If you spend a few more bucks and buy the speakers from crutchfield, they will provide you with the harnesses to attach directly to the factory wiring and make life even easier.

If you decide that isn't enough sound, THEN go the amp'd route.

I suggest that because once you go with an amp, there is a lot more involved. You need to get a line out converter to get line-level signal for the amps. The one recommended above (LC6i) is OK, I like the one from PAC-Audio that matches our truck and is plug and play.

With amps you need to bring power through the firewall, mount the amps somewhere (typically behind the rear seat), run RCA cables from the HU to the amps, run a remote turn on line, run the speaker cables from the amps to the speakers and the sub.

All told, it isn't really all that HARD, but it can be intimidating because you have to rip out the interior and make semi-permanent modifications to your truck. (splicing wires, fishing through the firewall, mounting the board, etc...)

Replacing the speakers is a great start and makes a big difference.... amps and subs is a big leap over just speakers in quality and volume, but also more of a commitment on your part.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I did what you wanted for under $500. I replaced the door speakers with Polk db571 ($140-$200). Installed the PAC OEM-FRD24 line out convertor ($55) and installed a powered subwoofer ($140-$200). Sub wiring kit ($50). It is not top of the line but I certainly like the sound I am getting. Prices are approximate.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

hintsas,

I just did a stereo install on my 2011 Fx4...check out my thread, might give you some ideas. Ive got videos for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/sound-...4-video-96835/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading My Truck Audio.