Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Tweeter Placement in 10th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Default Tweeter Placement in 10th Gen

I'm planning for an audio upgrade in my 2003 SCAB, and will be using Alpine Tyoe-R components up front. I'm trying to determine a feasible mounting location for the tweeters which will provide good staging. I've found several ideas including mounting them in the door panel forward of the handle. The sail panels and A-pillar covers appear to be such that mounting depth my be an issue. I found THIS DIY POD SOLUTION , which is a possibility, but I don't particularly want to advertise the fact that there's an aftermarket system installed.

If this subject has been beaten to death, my apologies, but I'll appreciate any suggestions . Thanks .

Andy
Old 11-18-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I'm planning for an audio upgrade in my 2003 SCAB, and will be using Alpine Tyoe-R components up front. I'm trying to determine a feasible mounting location for the tweeters which will provide good staging. I've found several ideas including mounting them in the door panel forward of the handle. The sail panels and A-pillar covers appear to be such that mounting depth my be an issue. I found THIS DIY POD SOLUTION , which is a possibility, but I don't particularly want to advertise the fact that there's an aftermarket system installed.

If this subject has been beaten to death, my apologies, but I'll appreciate any suggestions . Thanks .

Andy
You only need 3/4" depth for the tweeters. I would look at the sail panels first, then in the door and the cheesy pods as a last resort
The following users liked this post:
OhioLariat (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Thanks for the input. I'd just looked up the mounting depth for the R's before I saw your reply.

The sail panels don't look like an option, as the driver's side panel doesn't appear to be large enough to accommodate the tweeter's 1-1/2" diameter. (Someone has them there in the pic below, but I don't know the size.) It's also tilted at a wonky angle, though, and I think not being able to aim the tweeter correctly would cause imaging to suffer.

EDIT: I just measured, and it looks like the tweeter would *fit* in this location, but even with the angle adjustability of the tweeter, getting them to point in the proper directions (i.e. toward the dome light or opposite seat belt mount) looks to be impossible. Best *might* be to get them pointing at each other which isn't optimal.)

The A pillar would be an option as in the Polk/Momo F150 (pic below and article HERE), but in that system they had another set of components in Q-Logic kick panels. As a secondary "high-fill" set, I think this would be fine (and so, obviously, did Polk), but I think pointing toward the windshield at that angle would muck things up alone. EDIT: Also, from the driver's seat, and on the driver's side, the mounting surface shown below is parallel to my viewing (and hearing) angle with my seat in driving position, so I would get *zero* direct sound form that speaker.

I'll definitely try them at the door location I mentioned (sample picture below), and while it should give decent forward presence, I'm concerned the stage may sound a bit low.

In the kick panel trim as pictured below might be another option. They could (possibly) be mounted lower to come close to mimicking Q-Logic's execution.

Crutchfield Q-Logic Pic for Reference

I agree, and don't like the idea (or, frankly, the look) of the pods, and am leaving that as a last resort, as you mentioned. However, painted the same color as the interior, and tucked down into the corner where the A-pillar, windshield, and dash meet might look (and sound) OK.

EDIT: Another option might be in the dash itself, down in the corner (marked in the pics below). This would require the sound be bounced off the windshield which, while not optimal, can work.

EDIT (again): Annnnd another idea to get the speakers better-aimed in the dash location above.

I guess the bottom line is I'll need to get the system in, put a bit of velcro or double-sided tape on the back of the tweets, and experiment. Only then will I be able to decide the best location *for my system.* At that point I can determine what compromise(s) I want to make.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Do the tweeters swivel after they are mounted? That would help with your placement
Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Do the tweeters swivel after they are mounted? That would help with your placement
Yes, but only 15°, so I'll have to at least be close to what I want to start with.

A point I must remember is that I'm not going for audiophile-quality sound, and SQ trophies. I'm probably over-thinking this a bit.

Andy
Old 11-21-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Yes, but only 15°, so I'll have to at least be close to what I want to start with.

A point I must remember is that I'm not going for audiophile-quality sound, and SQ trophies. I'm probably over-thinking this a bit.

Andy
Yep I agree. You are thinking too hard
Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

If possible, the area directly behind the outside rear view mirrors, would be a good location. As long as room allows.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I dig that one with the carbon fiber lookin panel and momo tweeter in it. Fwiw thats where they are in my 11th gen truck.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
I dig that one with the carbon fiber lookin panel and momo tweeter in it. Fwiw thats where they are in my 11th gen truck.
That location is most likely where mine will end up, but I'll do some testing before I decide.

Andy