Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Time for a new stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Time for a new stereo?

The single CD, non-MP3 stereo on my 2003 FX4 scab 5.4L is refusing to play CDs. The way I see it, I have 3 options:

1) Remove unit and have it repaired. Where could I do this and how much?

2) Find replacement head unit and swap. Again, from where and how much? Other models? Upgrade? Used parts available?

3) Install aftermarket head unit. I don't want anything fancy, just AM/FM, CD and maybe MP3 disk and AUX input. What else would I need? I'm thinking one of those mounting kits to fit the DIN size unit into the 1.5 DIN hole such as http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003FMK5...t.html?tp=3121, which I like because I might be able to squeeze a small CB radio in that pocket underneath. and a wiring harness like this one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...s.html?tp=2977 so I don't have to cut up the factory harness (which I refuse to do). Any recommendations on brand? I'm looking for something cheap, like under $100 for the head unit. I have an old pioneer unit in my mustang that was installed in 2003 that is hanging in there pretty tuff. Its a DEH or DPH-6300 or something like that. The mustang had amplifiers from the factory that required a line converter or some other piece of hardware to work. Does the F150 need the same?

Also, does anyone have a source for replacement antennae masts and a how to to remove that mount on the right fender? I think the old one snapped off and left the threaded bit in the socket.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by BigIrish; 12-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Get the appropriate dash kit/wire harness! Lol, I work as an installer at my local Best Buy, and you can only imagine the horrors I've seen....

Of you available options, I'd choose the third. Repair/Replacing a factory radio can be a couple hundred bucks. Generally speaking, the newer the truck, the more expensive it'll be. As for brand, pick what you like. Honestly, in the cheaper radios there isn't much difference. If you like Pioneer, go with Pioneer. Installing decks are easy. Even if you don't have much experience, you're just matching colors.

EDIT: I just noticed the last question. Actually, our BBY just started carrying replacement masts! Not only that, but we carry full replacement antennas if need be. Should only be like $20 or so either way...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Aerospace Engineer

I was looking on the crutchfield website and found this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ10...0.html?tp=5684 Looks like free shipping and install parts to go with the budget head unit at $90. My training in electrical engineering means I fear no solder iron, even when I probably should.

Compare that to the limited availability of stock units at almost the same price, and I think I'll get the new one.

I'd like a more sophisticated LCD like the one in my Mustang, but those don't become an option until triple the amount I want to spend.

As far as the antennae problem, if someone has a good exploded diagram, I could probably figure it out from there. I'd just take it apart, but it gets dark early this time of year and 20F is too dang cold to screw around outside.

Also, can someone confirm that the F150 doesn't have any amplifiers I have to worry about accommodating stock?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man pm me i got a stock radio out of my 2003 screw 3 disc double din works fine i would sell. i put a indash tv in.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

For the price of them, whatever unit I put in from now on will have a USB port. Being able to plug in a flash drive with 100's of songs is worth it to me. I have over 700 on mine now,still adding more every day.
No more CD's to mess with. PRICELESS
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Originally Posted by skizriz
For the price of them, whatever unit I put in from now on will have a USB port. Being able to plug in a flash drive with 100's of songs is worth it to me. I have over 700 on mine now,still adding more every day.
No more CD's to mess with. PRICELESS
I just checked and I can get into the next level up Clarion for $10 more and get a rear USB input. I don't have a music collection on a stick, but I don't have a stereo that plays from USB either.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

$10 more for the stereo, $15 for a stick, and never have to carry a CD with you again.
I simply ran my USB cord down into my glove box. I think it will make CD players go the way of the dinosaurs.

Quick Reply: Time for a new stereo?