Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Thoughts on this set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on this set up?

2018 F150 XLT screw - no Sony System

Not looking to win any competitions but need to upgrade this crappy stock system. Looking for some fronts and a sub. Would love everyones thoughts...

Can anyone also tell me what I’m missing as far as hooking everything up?

Just finished a chat with crutchfield... this is what they suggested.

Amp - Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D
Sub - JL 10tw3
Components for front - Kicker 43CSS694 6"x9" component speaker system
8 Gauge Amp wiring kit - Crutchfield CK8 (much keeper kits on amazon, kit recommendations?)
Metra 82-5606 Speaker Mounting Brackets
Metra 72-5602 Speaker Wiring Harness
Crutchfield 2-Channel RCA Patch Cables

Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricksastar
2018 F150 XLT screw - no Sony System

Not looking to win any competitions but need to upgrade this crappy stock system. Looking for some fronts and a sub. Would love everyones thoughts...

Can anyone also tell me what I’m missing as far as hooking everything up?

Just finished a chat with crutchfield... this is what they suggested.

Amp - Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D
Sub - JL 10tw3
Components for front - Kicker 43CSS694 6"x9" component speaker system
8 Gauge Amp wiring kit - Crutchfield CK8 (much keeper kits on amazon, kit recommendations?)
Metra 82-5606 Speaker Mounting Brackets
Metra 72-5602 Speaker Wiring Harness
Crutchfield 2-Channel RCA Patch Cables

I would swap out the door speakers and add a powered sub
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab

Can you explain why you would? And any recommendations?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I would personally go with 4 awg wiring .. 6.5 front door speakers and add a different sub .. but that's just my personal taste
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

8 gauge wiring will be fine with your setup and you won't find a better performing shallow sub than the 10tw3 (although I may be a bit biased lol). Everything else looks ok to me.
The following users liked this post:
Ricksastar (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

The JL Tw3 is one of the best shallow subs on the market. Great choice. It will sound better than any powered sub out there and and will also provide more output.

Your setup looks good. Just go with a 4 awg amp kit. Not sure what your level of craftsmanship is but the cheapest power wire kit you can buy is one you make yourself. You need roughly 20 ft of 4 awg, a fuse holder or breaker, and ring terminals. I prefer EWCS. 100%, made in the USA!
https://ewcswire.com/welding-cable/4...ble-600-volts/
The following 2 users liked this post by dhmcfadin:
FreeMars (12-09-2020), Ricksastar (11-06-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

All depends on your budget. Don't forget you will need a box for the JL woofer
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM

All depends on your budget. Don't forget you will need a box for the JL woofer

yes, im comfortable with building my own box
Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

The TW3 is a great sub, but going low-budget on the amp and speakers to afford it isn't the best choice for overall sound quality IMO.
In your budget, having a lower class of subwoofer is much less noticeable than having lower class component speakers.

For a simple 3 channel setup in the $5-600 range, I would go with something like:
Morel Tempo Ultra 692 components ($300)
Pioneer TS-SW2502s4 subwoofer ($70)
Pioneer UD-SW250t box ($60, this box is made for the above sub and fits perfectly behind the rear seats)
Pioneer GM-D8604 amp ($125) or GM-D9605 ($220)

The Morels are worlds ahead of the Kickers, and the price-to-performance on Pioneer's subs and amps is hard to beat.
The GM-D8604 will give you 100w x 2 + 300w for sub
The GM-D9605 will give you 200w x 2 + 350w for sub. Adding a second sub for a 2 ohm final load will give you 600w for subs.
Both Pioneer amps will do their rated power and more. The same can't be said for any of the newer Soundstreams.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tenx82
The TW3 is a great sub, but going low-budget on the amp and speakers to afford it isn't the best choice for overall sound quality IMO.
In your budget, having a lower class of subwoofer is much less noticeable than having lower class component speakers.

For a simple 3 channel setup in the $5-600 range, I would go with something like:
Morel Tempo Ultra 692 components ($300)....
I hadn't updated anything since posting my change of heart the other evening where I said I was going to bite the bullet and change over to a component speaker system. Wanted to wait to talk to my installer in more detail. Anyway I ended up ordering those Morel's after first deciding on the MM6502's based on a few things. I'd heard the baby brother Polk's a few days before, the DB6502's, thought they sounded really good and the Crutchfield advisor recommended them to me as well. (I was only looking for tweeters LOL) He also said kinda off-hand that the MM's were even better sounding tho quite a bit more expensive. Then my installer told me he was also running those Polk's in his truck when I texted him for a second opinion. So that's what lead to the MM6502's.

By the next morning, and after doing a little more research I got concerned that maybe I was paying for all-weather protection that I wouldn't need and might be overpaying for the sound I was going to get, could do better for the same money. there's also not a whole lot of reviews on those Polk's atho what there is is overwhelmingly positive.
So I got a case of cold feet and opted for what I considered the easy and safe choice of the Morel Tempo Ultra's. Crutchfield's sale on' em made it easier.

I'm probably stubborn (in fact I know I am) but really want to stick with the Kicker Key amp rather than an amp and separate DSP, and the installer had already assured me that those Polk's were plenty efficient and the Key would be fine if that's what I wanted to use. Already using a Hideaway which is all the sub I want so no concerns there.

So going with the Morels, Key ports 1&2 going to tweeters and 3/4 to woofers, which should give enough power to drive 'em in your estimation? That's what my guy was going to do with the Polks, but I'd love to know what you think too. I know you would say amp and DSP, but all I really want for now is just an easy and compact set-up, and something I can easily re-calibrate myself if I decide to change out the rear door speakers later on. As long as the Key can drive the new speakers satisfactorily I don't care if I can go loud. SQ is all I'm after.

Doing the install this coming Wednesday, with everything coming in on Monday.

On those tweeters...
He wants to mount those midway up on the door pillar rather than bottom forward where the existing factory ones are. I'd kinda like to avoid drilling holes in the pillars but he says that moving them closer to the driving position and aiming to the opposite headrests will give me noticeably better vocals. Is he right?

Last edited by Gatorguy; 11-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this set up?