Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Thin Subs - JL TW5 vs. MTX TT6510-12

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Do Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thin Subs - JL TW5 vs. MTX TT6510-12

So I'm doing some research. Looking to add a little spunk to the crap-*** 2009 stereo in my F150. Definitely want to keep the stock head unit. And definitely adding a JL 570X component set powered by a 320.4 amp.

Now on to the bass. I listen to mostly rock/metal and am looking for a sub that is going to give me tight, responsive, hard hitting bass. Music such as Tool, Deftones, Killswitch Engage, Rage Against The Machine, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. Lots of double bass and bass guitar riffs. I seldom listen to any rap at all, just the occasional club hits that I may burn to a disc for those days when it feels right.

My question is about which sub to purchase. Please keep in mind that I have a 2009 F150 REGULAR CAB, so space is a issue. I know I only want to go with one sub, and I know I will be pushing it with a JL 500.1 amp. Also looking for sound quality versus volume. Debating between the JL TW5, or the MTX TT6510. The JL is about twice the price, and a 13" sub. The MTX is a 10" sub. I have found a ton of great reviews on the JL sub, but hardly anything on the MTX. Any suggestions from you guys are greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.....
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i know you said you only want to go with one sub...whats the reasoning for this? Spacewise? In my last truck I was running the JL 500/1 into a JL 12W6 in a sealed box...sounded amazing! I also have JL1000/1 and that im going to be using in my new install in a Scrw cab, and what i'm planningon doing is possbily runing 4 JL8's with the 1000/1 The 8's are rated at 250W max which would be perfect! and the 8's can move super fast, and recover quicker. When i used to compete on the IASCA circut i used to hear cars that had like 6 8's and it hit you upside the head so hard you didnt know what hit you. And youd be surprised at how low a 8 can go if installed in the correct box.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Do Work

one sub because I dont want a overwhelming amount of bass. Just enough for the music to sound perfect. Like I said, I listen to mostly rock. I dont need to be going down the street booming like a high schooler.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Do Work

do you think 2 8's would sound better than the one 13"
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

By going 2 speakers over 1 you balance the sound more evenly. If you ever notice when wearing headphones, certain sounds of songs are dominant in one ear, where as others are in the other ear. It is not noticeable when both are heard. The same holds true for bass and sub enclosures. Also, you can get 8's sounding better than a 13 if you have the proper box. All speakers have a specified box volume for optimized performance/sound quality. I have 2 10's in my SCrew and it shakes the mirrors in the cab when I want it to, but even when its that loud, you can't hear the bass outside (like the person in the car next to me can barely hear it, not obnoxiously like you are talking about "highschoolers"). I would personally put 2 8's in, w/ a ported box, and just keep the Bass Dial set to where you like it on the amp. Remember, tune your bass with your Treble all the way up, and you're bass at just about half. This will produce a quality sound acceptable in any genre you play (i go from rap-hiphop-rock-alt-classic rock) Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by VanoFord
By going 2 speakers over 1 you balance the sound more evenly. If you ever notice when wearing headphones, certain sounds of songs are dominant in one ear, where as others are in the other ear. It is not noticeable when both are heard. The same holds true for bass and sub enclosures. Also, you can get 8's sounding better than a 13 if you have the proper box. All speakers have a specified box volume for optimized performance/sound quality. I have 2 10's in my SCrew and it shakes the mirrors in the cab when I want it to, but even when its that loud, you can't hear the bass outside (like the person in the car next to me can barely hear it, not obnoxiously like you are talking about "highschoolers"). I would personally put 2 8's in, w/ a ported box, and just keep the Bass Dial set to where you like it on the amp. Remember, tune your bass with your Treble all the way up, and you're bass at just about half. This will produce a quality sound acceptable in any genre you play (i go from rap-hiphop-rock-alt-classic rock) Hope this helps!

I just have to disagree with just some of your info. Bass is non directional. And when i'm saying bass I mean low bass...70hz and lower with a steep slope. Since bass is non directional, and also since it is usually a mono signal, you do not really gain anything from having 2 subs vs 1. The only thing you gain from two subs is that when you double the cone surface area you are increasing the DB's by a +3. Now you said you dont want to be one of those guys driving around with the boom. They i would recommend even more to go with a smaller diameter sub , like an 2 8's and the reason is, the larger the sub, the louder the lower frequencies will be played. Low frequencies have HUGE sound waves from peak to peak, which is why you can hear bass from so far compared to high frequencies. What i wold suggest to do is to hook up your 500/1 like you were planning, then go to your localk stereo shop and see if you can "audition" some subs. Most rebutable shops will let you do this, that way you can try some diffrent configurations before shelling out the cash. you can also go with 3 8's too. Thos JL amps can be configured with a damn low ohm.

Last edited by TimelessR1; 02-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 13TW5 with a little 250 watt amp and I love it. I listen to mostly rock too and its very clear bass with smooth, quick transactions. I'd recommend it to anybody.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
I just have to disagree with just some of your info. Bass is non directional. And when i'm saying bass I mean low bass...70hz and lower with a steep slope. So since bass is non directional, and also since is usally is a mono signal also, you do not really gain anything from having 2 subs vs 1.
x2
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone in here posted something about going to the stereo shop and doing an audition. ... Right on!

Any shop worth your time and money as a customer will allow you to demo several subs in a prefabbed box so you hear the difference using the same amp. There is something in the audio world known as "cabin-gain". Basically the environment of each cars interior will affect it's performance in your vehicle.

Ever notice how some subs sound killer on a sound board in a shop, but like dog turds in your vehicle. Stereo shops build demo boards to maximize a subs performance. No tricks, just smart marketing. The problem is your vehicle may not be the ideal environment for a subwoofer.

The two subs you've picked are very good pieces, and I'd highly recommend the Memphis SC class shallow mount sub from experience. But remember, the enclosure will have as much to do with the sound and performance as much as the sub itself. Build a custom box with help from a pro. Or at least follow the recommendations from a program like Bass Box Pro. A couple mmore bucks spent here will ensure not only the performance of the sub, but the longevity as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thin Subs - JL TW5 vs. MTX TT6510-12