Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Switching to a 5 channel amp.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switching to a 5 channel amp.

I have an '11 XLT, non- Sony, with Sync. I added a 10" JL sub with a JL amp. Hooked up with a LOC off the factory headunit. I've had issues with the LOC on 3 different occasions and I'd like to put an amp on the Polks I have in the in all 4 doors.

So, I bought a 5 channel Alpine amp, the PAC wiring harness and have a couple of questions. I know how to hook up the PAC (pretty simple) for the 4 door speakers. But how does the sub get its signal now? Would I have to run an LOC off of one of the sets of RCA's before they get to the PAC, or after? I can't figure out how its going to get its signal now.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cynyc
I have an '11 XLT, non- Sony, with Sync. I added a 10" JL sub with a JL amp. Hooked up with a LOC off the factory headunit. I've had issues with the LOC on 3 different occasions and I'd like to put an amp on the Polks I have in the in all 4 doors.

So, I bought a 5 channel Alpine amp, the PAC wiring harness and have a couple of questions. I know how to hook up the PAC (pretty simple) for the 4 door speakers. But how does the sub get its signal now? Would I have to run an LOC off of one of the sets of RCA's before they get to the PAC, or after? I can't figure out how its going to get its signal now.
Get a y-splitter and feed the sub amp off the rear channel rca's. I would add a bass control **** as well so you have more control over sub stage.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM

I might have forgot a detail. I'm taking the JL sub amp out of the equation. So the sub will be powered off the Alpine amp. Along with my door speakers.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cynyc
I might have forgot a detail. I'm taking the JL sub amp out of the equation. So the sub will be powered off the Alpine amp. Along with my door speakers.
Nothing changes. If your going to use a bass control **** split off at the loc otherwise you can split off at the amp. If at loc use male to female or at amp female to male.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...es-ZN1Y2M.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...es-ZN1Y2F.html

Last edited by JoeBoost; 07-05-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Please excuse my tedious questions. This is the first system I've ever installed with a factory headunit. Also this is the first 5 channel amp I've ever installed.

What I'm not understanding is what sends the audio signal to the sub? I understand power from the amp is going to amplify the signal from the headunit-PAC-Door speakers. But what I don't understand is how its possible for the sub to receive an audio signal with just Y splitters from the RCA out from the amp for the 5th channel.

Are saying to use Y splitters at the PAC on the rears? Then run back to the amp, then to the sub?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in your experience with your 5 channel amp. I've got a 5 channel Polk Audio amp at 1 ohm and I love it to death (but boy, it sure does draw a crap load on my electrical / charging system).. haha!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Run your 2 RCA sets from the PAC to the amp location then split back at the amp.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

No Y needed. Both Alpine 5 channel amps have the capability of combining the front and rear channels into a sub input. It's the 1+2+3+4 setting on the sub input switch.
The following users liked this post:
cynyc (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
No Y needed. Both Alpine 5 channel amps have the capability of combining the front and rear channels into a sub input. It's the 1+2+3+4 setting on the sub input switch.
The following users liked this post:
cynyc (07-06-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Bump with an update:

I finally had a chance to take the JL sub amp and LOC out of my truck. I replaced it with an Alpine MRX-V60 5 channel, PAC AOEM-FRD24, 4 Polk db571 and the JL 10" I already had in there. And stock head unit of course.

Very simple install. Total time was 1.5 hours. Sounds great but thinking of maybe adding some tweeters or a processor down the road. Who knows. Doesn't sounds quite up to par with systems I installed when I was in my 20's...but it'll do just fine. The Family seems to frown on getting their shoes rattled off.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped out.

Quick Reply: Switching to a 5 channel amp.