Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?

First off, I've not upgraded any audio in the last 10 years, so please forgive my ignorance. Also, I am not an audiophile, and have significant hearing loss from various exposures over the past 50 years.

I have a 2012 F150 Lariat SuperCrew with the Sony 700w Nav system. I want to remove the subwoofer to regain floor space in the back, and possibly replace the sub with one that can fit behind the rear seat.

I do not plan to replace the dash unit, but am open to replacing the door speakers (in addition to, or to replace the sub)

Any suggestions on something that would fit behind the seat?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure you're going to be able to fit anything BEHIND the seat.
Everything is made for under the seat. There isn't much room behind, other then amp mounting.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 AM
F-150 Frequent Flyer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

There have been several people (some forum members) with late model Screws that have managed to fit some of the powered sub models behind the rear seats.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been working on a box for the past few weeks trying to get a fit behind the rear seats and have come to the conclusion it's not feasible....at least not with the size sub I'm trying to fit back there. I've got my mind set on a 12.

the best sub I could find on a budget was the Pioneer TS-SW3001S2|S4. It has a mounting depth of 3 1/4 and only requires .5 cu. ft.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-SW3001S2%7CS4

It's possible the 10in version could fit as the dimensions are much smaller and has a mounting depth of 3in and needs .35 cu. ft.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-SW2501S2%7CS4

But like I said, I'm hard set on a 12in sub, so this was mostly an experiment and if it didn't work, I'm just gonna put the 12 where the current factory sony sub is in my truck.

I'm attaching some pics of the rough box I built, you will see I didn't even get to putting a front on cause the biggest killer is the height of the box needed and hitting the support rails in the rear seat. I was able to close the seat back, but not able to fold them up. Also, I relocated the back window motor up higher on the wall to allow me the length needed.

the dimensions I used were 24x12.5x4.5 to keep in the .5 cu. ft. needed for the sub. and I was also using 1/2in MDF which was a gamble , 3/4 would have been better for flex, but I needed the extra space.

I think if you can get a box down to 24x10x3.5, maybe everything would work but it would be really tight.

In my searching, I found this thread where the OP was able to get a pre-fab RF box with a 10 back there, but couldn't lift the seat back up....

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/subwoo...k-seat-180948/
Attached Thumbnails Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?-img_0894.jpg   Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?-img_0895.jpg   Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?-img_0896.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

It really depends on what you expect. I just wanted something to fill out the bottom end, I didn't want to shatter windows.

I got a sound ordinance 8Bpt power sub. It's an 8" low profile sub.

Got it from crutchfield.com and it fits behind my setback in my scab which is 10.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

^ Same,
I fit 2 of these behind the rear seats. However I did NOT have the Sony set up. They wont win any competitions... but they sound nice.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

It is def possible...but it comes down to 2 things...one..what is your skill level, OR how much your willing to pay. the box doesnt have to be made of wood..... If youhave the skill my suggestin is to make the front baffle out of 3/4 in and the sides also....but the rest can be done in fiberglass which will afford you alot more internal volume. anything is possible....
Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess I'll recant my previous statement...and say it's not feasible for me I would love to get some my hands dirty with some fiberglass...maybe on the next project...my budget is spent of this one

The Sound Ordnance B-8PT is a nice box, I was very tempted to purchase a few based on the reviews here and other places...It would be nice to hear one close up though
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmaximus
It would be nice to hear one close up though
THIS!!! Can be said about many of the Audio things here... Doesn't help I live 60+ miles from the nearest Audio type store.

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
It is def possible...
Rather than fabrication, I'm more looking for something I can mount and forget. Ideal would be a something like the 8Bpt that would be almost plug and play.

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
<8Bpt> They wont win any competitions... but they sound nice.
This is kind of what I am looking to hear... I'm past shaking the neighbors windows, so don't need or want the 15CubicFoot box and quad 24" subs with 6,000,000 watts....

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
It really depends on what you expect. I just wanted something to fill out the bottom end, I didn't want to shatter windows.

I got a sound ordinance 8Bpt power sub. It's an 8" low profile sub.

Got it from crutchfield.com and it fits behind my setback in my scab which is 10.
This sounds a lot like what I'd like to do.... And I have looked at the 8Bptd (latest version).
Do you by chance have a pic of where you placed it, and or any suggestion on mounting? Second, is there by chance a connector kit to tie this to the stock connector buried in the carpet? Or did you not have that to tie into?

Thank you all for the feedback. Good information.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntSp

THIS!!! Can be said about many of the Audio things here... Doesn't help I live 60+ miles from the nearest Audio type store.

Rather than fabrication, I'm more looking for something I can mount and forget. Ideal would be a something like the 8Bpt that would be almost plug and play.

This is kind of what I am looking to hear... I'm past shaking the neighbors windows, so don't need or want the 15CubicFoot box and quad 24" subs with 6,000,000 watts....

This sounds a lot like what I'd like to do.... And I have looked at the 8Bptd (latest version).
Do you by chance have a pic of where you placed it, and or any suggestion on mounting? Second, is there by chance a connector kit to tie this to the stock connector buried in the carpet? Or did you not have that to tie into?

Thank you all for the feedback. Good information.
I put mine behind the seat back on my scab. Mine was easy as I have an aftermarket HU. All you need though is to run the high input leads and tap into your speaker harness in the rear. There is a switch that will auto sense and turn the sub on. So basically, run power, ground behind seat somewhere, and run speaker leads and tap in to a rear speaker and you're done.

It won't hit the bottom notes in some rap but it is great for the rest and even gives the mirror a little shake on some songs.

Quick Reply: Sub behind rear seat in SuperCrew?