Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stereo Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade Advice

When I bought my 05 FX4 it came with an aftermarket CD player (can't remember the brand but it's nothing fancy) and the display didn't work. For a while it didn't bother me because I connected my iPod to the AUX and called it a day. I'm currently deployed and I'm looking at putting a little money into my truck when I get back and getting rid of that broken head unit is on my to-do list.

I don't want anything too flashy and I'm even considering going back to stock. I'm not looking for tons of bass, I just want it to sound good from inside the truck, I don't care if other people can hear it.

So I'm looking for advice on something that sounds nice without spending a lot of money, also what are my options if I want to return to stock? Normally I would research my questions via the search button but the internet connection over here is very unreliable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u go back to stock it should be as simple as removing the aftermarket and installing the stock. You should be able to pick up a stock radio on eBay for cheap. As far as changing to another aftermarket. Find one u like, if u like to keep it simple u can find a JVC or Kenwood with an Aux input for ur iPod for a reasonable price. I'd say between $75-$125 depending on features. Then u would need a wiring harness and possibly a dash kit if the radio doesn't fit. Not a hard job at all. A good website to shop around is crutchfield.com bit they are kinda pricey so find all ur part numbers on the site and shop around on eBay.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Lightbulb car audio advice..12 years exsperience..

hi there.. so your looking for some facts..the last post you got is totally right on all aspects of swapping out your broken stereo with a new one .if you already have an aftermarket stereo ,there is no need to purchase another dash kit and wiring harness...a really good website is 'Ebay" or another one that i often use is "Sonix Electronics"here in California..they have tons of single din or standard size ipod ready stereos and will beat "crutchfield" price wise ..or if your located in the cali area i can get you a stereo installed for $100.00...im in apple valley ,ca 92308..check my shop out on "facebook" ...."Audiotistics"
Old 12-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your replies. I have installed several stereos and I'm not worried about the actual install of either a factory or aftermarket unit, I was more looking for specific stereo set ups that work well without breaking the bank. Head unit/speaker combos... etc.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You'll get significantly better sound from any aftermarket head unit when compared to the stock one.

"Breaking the bank" is a little subjective, got a dollar figure? I'm sure I can come up with something you'd be happy with.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Thug Eradicator

Originally Posted by GATORB8
You'll get significantly better sound from any aftermarket head unit when compared to the stock one.

"Breaking the bank" is a little subjective, got a dollar figure? I'm sure I can come up with something you'd be happy with.
x2

Decide on your buget first, you can find many diff brands with what you want for $100 and up. you can find some cheaper but $100 is a good starting figure.

you can find a good Ipod ready unit for a little over a hundred that wall charge your Ipod as well and be able to control the Ipod from the Unit

Sony is my fav all around because they are simple to operate for a beginner and sound good eneough for an audio enthusiast and Are cheaper than some of the higher end models in which you have to push 6 buttons and turn 3 ***** just to adjust the equalizer.

You cant go wrong with Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer. There are many brands but those are some the most common.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade Advice