Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade

I have a 13 XLT with the Sync 4.2in Screen. I want to upgrade to a larger head unit with touch screen and a rear view camera. For all of my vehicles, I have always bought stuff through Crutchfield.com, they always have the best selection and their customer service can't be beat. With that being said, I know that installing a double-din/touchscreen head unit in my truck isn't the easiest thing to do.

After speaking with Crutchfield advisors, they say I need the iDatalink K150 Dash kit to replace the current radio surround along with climate controls. Reading the reviews for that says that it changes how the climate control fan dial works (shows on the radio instead of a "positive click" like the fan has now.) . While this isn't a deal breaker, I was wondering if I can use the radio surround and climate controls from a stock Ford Touch screen or if I just need to go the way Crutchfield is recommending? I looked on the forum before posting and I can't seem to find the answer, but forgive me if this has been asked before and I just missed it. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

you need the idatalink setup to convert to aftermarket in your truck. a factory bezel will not work with the kit. i have it and you still have the tactile clicks when moving the *****, and if your new radio can support it they will be displayed on your screen as well. for example i have a pioneer 8201NEX and as soon as i move my temp or fan **** the display changes to the appropriate screen showing the temp settings. a few seconds later it reverts back to whatever was on the screen prior.

the idadalink kit will retain steering wheel controls, sync and the factory mic for use with your aftermarket radio.
The following users liked this post:
jblaker1 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM

You rock! I figured that was going to be way I'd have to go, but hearing what you said, vs reading the reviews on Crutchfield's website, I feel a lot more comfortable dropping the $220 for the Idatalink bezel and setup. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:31 PM

happy to help. you are also going to need the maestro rr to complete your install.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...ce-Module.html

-edit-

and to save you some freakout headaches in the future..... every now and then i get an error with my system telling me the climate controls are not installed or something similar. shut everything down, open your door to reset the ignition, restart everything and you will be fine. you will have to setup the RR on your computer with the VIN of the car and the SN of the new radio but that is easy to do.

Last edited by nineball; 04-03-2019 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jblaker1 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 02:50 PM

I have read about those issues, and honestly it worries me a bit because setting up the Maestro on a computer is a PIA because we don't own a windows machine, only Macs, so I'd have to go to my parents house or drag a POS work computer home. How often does this problem occur, and under what circumstances?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 PM

it has nothing to do with the programming with a computer. you program it once and you are done.

i would say the climate control error happens maybe 5 times out of 100 and as i said the fix is easy - turn off the truck, open the door, restart and it is fixed.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaker1
I have read about those issues, and honestly it worries me a bit because setting up the Maestro on a computer is a PIA because we don't own a windows machine, only Macs, so I'd have to go to my parents house or drag a POS work computer home. How often does this problem occur, and under what circumstances?
I run the free virtual box program for a virtual windows machine on my macbook pro. I haven't ran into an issue yet connecting windows only devices this way. I have used this for forscan with bluetooth and usb devices and was using it for my 360.3 via usb before the 360 died. I will use it for my helix dsp.3 when it comes.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade