Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade

I can't seem to find a topic on this and am now wondering if maybe it is because it doesn't make sense to do this, but I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2018 XLT SCrew. I am a family man now, so going with the most economical option in terms of quality.

I don't think I will need a sub anymore as those hard hitting music days are over for me for the next couple of years (I had subs in my last 3 vehicles). I just want to upgrade the overall sound throughout the truck. Do people do just speaker upgrades these days or is the discussion based more today around the entire system itself?

To put a budget in perspective, I don't think I would want to exceed $500 in this upgrade, so that is why I omitted the amp+sub route. TIA
Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by manu
I can't seem to find a topic on this and am now wondering if maybe it is because it doesn't make sense to do this, but I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2018 XLT SCrew. I am a family man now, so going with the most economical option in terms of quality.

I don't think I will need a sub anymore as those hard hitting music days are over for me for the next couple of years (I had subs in my last 3 vehicles). I just want to upgrade the overall sound throughout the truck. Do people do just speaker upgrades these days or is the discussion based more today around the entire system itself?

To put a budget in perspective, I don't think I would want to exceed $500 in this upgrade, so that is why I omitted the amp+sub route. TIA

Start with the door speakers. Two ways are fine. Something efficient.Then add a small powered sub. You will appreciate the low end. You can get all that done for less than $500
Old 06-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 232 Likes on 172 Posts

I bought these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW2ORIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW2ORIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for the front doors and 6.5's for the rears they made a huge difference in sound quality. Was considering added a Kicker Hideaway for a small boost in bass but no longer feel the need to.

Definitely start with a speaker upgrade and see how much that helps before you go any further. Hopefully UncleG will chime in here lol
Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! That seems to be the route I will end up taking. Perhaps a gradual approach isn't a bad idea. Was swapping 4 stock speakers out with those a pain at all? Disclosure: I have no experience wiring car speakers
Old 06-08-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanks! That seems to be the route I will end up taking. Perhaps a gradual approach isn't a bad idea. Was swapping 4 stock speakers out with those a pain at all? Disclosure: I have no experience wiring car speakers
It was easy to do just check out this video
One thing to do not mentioned here is to run a piece of string through the door lock hole and tying the door panels up while you are swapping the speakers so the door handle cable doesn't get damaged.

I went this route but you can also buy adapter plates and wiring adapters but I liked the idea of being able to put the speakers in and just use the factory connection. There are pics in my build thread.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I've seen that video a few times and while it's a nicely done tutorial on swapping speakers and dealing with the doors he takes some puzzling shortcuts popping the inner frame off that, as mdphotographer pointed out, could cause you trouble with the door latch (I only realized this when I did this myself).

And while I like saving money as much as the next person going through all that trouble to destroy the stock speakers and jury-rigging a mount out of them seems a little overboard considering you can get a metra kit with the cable adapters too for all 4 doors for like $30 and save yourself a large amount of time&trouble.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Start with the door speakers. Two ways are fine. Something efficient.Then add a small powered sub. You will appreciate the low end. You can get all that done for less than $500
^^^ do this ^^^

Went w polk db and kicker hideaway, happy enough with it to not want to spend more.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Regarding "efficient" - you don't want to go too efficient, if you are wiring to the stock system/amp. 2ohm speakers, for example, probably (almost certainly) won't be driven well and may even be damaged when connected to less efficient amps, like the stock. What people mean is, if you aren't externally amping, go for slightly more efficient, those in the 3+ ohm range - Infinity makes some of these, I forget the product name, that several F150 owners use and like. Proxima I think is the line.

You'll get better sound replacing the stock speakers in a stock system but don't expect too much out of them and don't overspend if that is all you plan to do. You really need to bypass and externally amp to get a true leap in SQ from stock.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 PM

This video has a better tutorial on removing the door panel
.....check it out at 2:10 to see how the door latch cable is removed. I couldn't get that cable released without fear of breaking it but this video shows the trick for removing the cable from the door panel
Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by planetix
I've seen that video a few times and while it's a nicely done tutorial on swapping speakers and dealing with the doors he takes some puzzling shortcuts popping the inner frame off that, as mdphotographer pointed out, could cause you trouble with the door latch (I only realized this when I did this myself).

And while I like saving money as much as the next person going through all that trouble to destroy the stock speakers and jury-rigging a mount out of them seems a little overboard considering you can get a metra kit with the cable adapters too for all 4 doors for like $30 and save yourself a large amount of time&trouble.
I have more time then money so I didn't mind doing it that way and I didnt like the idea of using a wiring harness adapter. Doing it using the old speakers is more time intensive but a cleaner install I think.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade