speaker upgrades - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



speaker upgrades

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default speaker upgrades

I've got a 2011 supercab with sync and a 4 speaker stereo. The stereo leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. Is there much to be gained by replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers and running them off the factory stereo without a amplifier or subwoofer?

I would prefer not to run extra wiring through the truck or install an amp or subwoofer, as space in the back of the cab is already pretty tight.

Any suggestions?
tyler500e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
superccs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 964
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

subscribed, in same boat.
superccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,232
Thanked 390 Times in 320 Posts
Default

The factory speakers in your truck are geared to optimized sound output at a very low wattage level. Probably less than 10watts rms/speaker. They are fairly (Sensitive).

You may way to try the following.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iVyErO8...ower-Pack.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KTP-445U.html

The small amp above would allow you to keep all factory wiring intact, just add the small amp behind the factory HU or anywheres behind the dash. The options above would allow you to add some decent door speakers and get great volume response back.

Last edited by ibd2328; 03-19-2013 at 12:40 AM.
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,152
Thanked 294 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler500e View Post
I've got a 2011 supercab with sync and a 4 speaker stereo. The stereo leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. Is there much to be gained by replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers and running them off the factory stereo without a amplifier or subwoofer?

I would prefer not to run extra wiring through the truck or install an amp or subwoofer, as space in the back of the cab is already pretty tight.

Any suggestions?
I wasn't happy until I added a sub. Easy to do with the correct harness.
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,232
Thanked 390 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab

I wasn't happy until I added a sub. Easy to do with the correct harness.
+1
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sharper4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,640
Thanked 116 Times in 87 Posts
Default

I recently upgraded my speakers and not the factory sub. Wish I had upgraded the sub first.
sharper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GATORB8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 5,002
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Default

If you aren't going to do subs and amps, it is definitely worth it to still replace the speakers. Shoot for something with a high sensitivity so they make more efficient use of the limited power.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,152
Thanked 294 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
If you aren't going to do subs and amps, it is definitely worth it to still replace the speakers. Shoot for something with a high sensitivity so they make more efficient use of the limited power.
Correct. I upgraded to Kicker 6x8s. Cheap upgrade for $50 a pair.
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
BAD-DOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 24
Thanked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Default

The location of the front speakers just plain s..u..c..k.. regardless of what you replace the OEM speakers with. What about adding some tweeters up high in the door?
BAD-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
GATORB8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 5,002
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD-DOG View Post
The location of the front speakers just plain s..u..c..k.. regardless of what you replace the OEM speakers with. What about adding some tweeters up high in the door?
The Sony a-pillars with tweeters can be retrofit if desired. Couple hundred new for the pair.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 F150 XLT Screw Audio System Upgrade Log (Sync w/Nav, No Sony) 1Chad Stereo/Audio 228 01-23-2017 10:09 PM
I need some help/advice from the experienced people here... Lariat725 Stereo/Audio 22 10-19-2015 08:52 AM
Full audio upgrade (minus head unit), what did you pay? txmedic90 Stereo/Audio 16 10-06-2015 02:56 PM
Sub/amp upgrade quesiton jb502 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 09-11-2015 11:53 AM
Subwoofer upgrade only jb502 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 09-09-2015 02:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send