Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound quality help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sound quality help

Was wondering who if anyone has done or knows about sq? Because I'm a little lost in this feild
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 AM
96 black and tan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would you like to know?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have replaced all door speakers (didn't help much), then stereo (helped alot), then added amplifier(sounds great now). I also bought 2 adapters from PAC, and made one myself, in order to have all this and not lose Sync.

If you absolutely do not want to change your factory stereo, u can buy a line out converter which will allow you to add an amplifier to your factory stereo. Then you will need a 4 channel amplifier, amp wiring kit, and new speakers. This is the most economical way since you should be able to do the work yourself. Even if you get high quality equipment, you should be able to keep the upgrade to under $1000. The sound difference will be night and day.

If you are looking to add an aftermarket HU and all the stuff I mentioned above, you will have to spend a bit more $. If you want all this, and still to have Sync, more $, plus you will have to get a little creative.

Last edited by PondJumper; 10-31-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I built and installed my system with SQ as the top priority. What would you like to know?? There is a lot that goes into it, and it really depends how deep you want to go.

Some people think that "good SQ" is simply upgrading the speakers or headunit, maybe adding an amplifier for headroom and clarity. Some go a bit further and get into time alignment, equalization on each channel, speaker aiming/location, equipment selection based on quality speaker parts, etc. Then you can really get into it by converting all your music to LossLess or FLAC for the highest bitrate, no compromise performance in sound quality.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
96 black and tan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Msall: Good words, sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I'd also like to recommend that you get a good digital processor. Something like the JBL MS8, Audison Bit One, or Audiocontrol DQX- your crossover points are key to imaging and raising your sound stage. Personally, I'm running processing through my Pioneer DEXP99RS for now- because it will do just about everything; but mostly because of my space constraints in my pickup.

I am nearly done (80% complete) with my first SQ build, so it's fresh in my mind. Fortunately, some of my good friends have been SQ competitors for several years, so I have quite a bit of knowledge at my fingertips.

If you're really serious about SQ (as my friends and are)... Check out the Autosound 2000 tech briefs (around $75), and IASCA 2011 rule book and build accordingly. I educated myself during the early stages of my build and took an IASCA judges training class.

For your music listening reference: I'd recommend definitely going lossless- the sound quality is night and day. I also like the quality of recordings of the Telarc CD's.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. I started this thread back in march tho.
I was actually in the middle of one of my first sq builds in an 05 Chevy aveo. As I've come to relize its a never ending build much like spl.
For those of you who don't know spl is my forte. Got a couple trophies and what not under the belt.
I was just starting to run out of steam on the spl side so I figgured I'd jump into sq.
So I deadned the doors got a set of pioneer ts-d1720c powered by a rockford 300.2
For sub stage there's an old diamond cm3 duel 4 ohm, hooked to a rockford t500.
It actually turned out great. Much much better than expected.
Right about now I'm looking into upgrading the sub stage further. So let's keep this thread going and get some more sq opinions.
I'm looking for a 12"-15" sealed or ported that will be a little louder than the cm3 and get lower. The cm3 rolls off a little early "it could be my sealed box".
Beyond that, what's everybody using for processing?? Is all processing $$$ or is tthere any cheap?
What about time alignment? I run a prs800 in my ford and it has built in TA. How do u go about this without a head with it built in?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In a sq build with a larger substage, you want a subwoofer that reduces distortion and remains as linear as possible. To do this it needs to have quality soft parts, shorting rings to reduce inductance, and a newer/more advanced motor topology than the typical underhung slugs used in most mobile audio subwoofers today.

A couple of examples of this are the offerings from Stereo Integrity and Exodus which use gapped XBL motors for extremely linear travel. The TC Sounds LMS-R is another solid option with a similar designed motor to XBL (instead of gaps they use humps).

The Exodus line recently went out of business, but if you can get your hands on a Shiva-X2 or Tempest X2 or older SI Brahma, you will still be blown away by the output and *clarity* of these drivers. The LMS-R is no slouch either with 26mm one way linear excursion. Because they have massive linear throw, you can keep these drivers sealed and still have plenty of "boom" with that nice flat response down to 20Hz.

If you want a cheaper sound processor, you can find RF360.2s for ~$200 if you search around. Pretty capable unit if your system is only 3-way active.

Quick Reply: Sound quality help