Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

SOS! Truck won’t crank after stereo install.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS! Truck won’t crank after stereo install.....

I have a 2012 f-150 and I just installed a new Sony xav-ax100 head unit into my truck. Plain and simple right? Nope. I’ve installed head units in my previous truck as well as friends vehicles. But when I installed my new head unit into my new truck it worked great until I tried to turn my truck on. The ABS and airbag lights went berserk as well as the gauges. They just clicked a lot and wouldn’t read. So I unplugged everything and just said let’s just get the truck running and nothing changed. I just got this truck a few weeks ago and I want to throw up. Please help!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us a little more information. Did you use a wiring harness? Did you connect all the wires correctly or did you have to guess at any? Check for any loose wires. Make sure the battery is charged.
You said it worked great, so I assume the radio worked when you were done.
Will the truck crank at all?
I have installed 20 or more head units for myself or friends and have not ran into anything worse than a dead battery due to forgetting to disconnect it.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Ok, so yes I used the wiring harness and sat in my kitchen making sure I wired everything correctly. I did have the battery disconnected during the install. So I got the radio in the dash and reconnected the battery and I put the key on accessories and set up my radio and made sure all the functions were properly working. And I was satisfied so I went to fully crank up my truck and it just started clicking and the gauges were going back and forth and that’s when the ABS and Air Bag indicators came on. Since then I have disconnected the battery and let it sit and reconnected to see if that did anything, completely disconnected my stereo and still no different results there and now I’m out of ideas. I just woke up and I’m going to check all my fuses and wires. Maybe try the battery from my last truck but I’m out of ideas after that.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Try a jump start, battery charger, or different battery. That will eliminate the battery being the issue.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Try a jump start, battery charger, or different battery. That will eliminate the battery being the issue.
+1. Probably the battery. It was probably real weak and went dead while you had the door open and during your HU test.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:18 AM

Ok. Thank y’all! I’ll try that out and let yah know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

i agree, those symptoms sound suspiciously like a dead battery.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Well I kind of feel dumb now but I’d rather be a fool with a working truck than a smart man with a non functioning truck. Haha. I got a new battery and all is good now. Thank you all very much!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Thanks for reporting back. We all have brainfarts every once in awhile. Glad you're back up and running!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it was a simple fix!

Quick Reply: SOS! Truck won’t crank after stereo install.....