Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sony crossovers vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Sony crossovers vs aftermarket

I have the Sony system. I have upgraded the door speakers to 5x7 coax in all 4 doors. I was thinking of changing the front door to components. My question. It is my understanding the Sony has speaker crossovers on the amp. Correct?

I have read posts where some on here were just going to swap speakers and use the Sony crossovers and not the aftermarkets that came with the speakers for ease of installation. It was recommended to use the aftermarkets. Correct?

If that is the case, if you use the factory wiring to the main door speaker which is crossovered at the amp, would the effect the aftermarket crossover and the tweeter input? Hope that made sense.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

You will get better performance if you use the passive crossover that comes with the speakers but it won't hurt anything to use the stock wires and crossover. You just wont be getting the best sound you could out of it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use the crossovers that came with speakers. Like mac said you will not get best sound using stocks, but wont hurt. Try it and see, but since you are inside truck already might as well do it all=)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_
You will get better performance if you use the passive crossover that comes with the speakers but it won't hurt anything to use the stock wires and crossover. You just wont be getting the best sound you could out of it.
+1
Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My understanding of the Sony system is that the crossover is built into the amp. If that's the case there is no full rage signal to hook the passive crossovers for your components to so your stuck with the factory crossover.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by dan02gt
My understanding of the Sony system is that the crossover is built into the amp. If that's the case there is no full rage signal to hook the passive crossovers for your components to so your stuck with the factory crossover.
That is true but you can use the speaker wire going to the door speaker to go into your new crossover. It will have the bass already taken out of it.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
That is true but you can use the speaker wire going to the door speaker to go into your new crossover. It will have the bass already taken out of it.
But isn't the high frequency filtered out too? Seems the tweeter wouldn't get the needed input to function properly.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
But isn't the high frequency filtered out too? Seems the tweeter wouldn't get the needed input to function properly.
Tally you are right! I stand corrected.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

One thing you can do would be to cut the stock speaker wires coming out of the Sony amp, run them to the inputs of the crossover then hook the other end up to the outputs that will run to the door speakers. Then run a separate set of speaker wires from the crossover to the tweeters. The tweeter wires would not be that hard to run as it's pretty straight forward to drop them down behind the A pillar. This would give you the benefit of the aftermarket crossover that was designed to work with that particular tweeter.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read on this site on another feed that you would want to tap into the speaker wires after the Sony booster. Then run it to a cleansweep or an amp then run new speaker wires to everything... Seems like a lot of work but that is supposed to give you total control on the whole system again... I really wish I could find out the best way to do this because I have Focal separates for the front and Focal coaxials for the back, a JL Audio clean sweep, a JL Audio amp and a Focal 10" sub in a Fox sub enclosure. I want to do this myself but a little scared I might F it up! I spoke to a couple of install shops and they all had different opinions and most of them were talking about just hooking it up like it was a stock system and that just doesn't sound right from all the feeds on this site...

Quick Reply: Sony crossovers vs aftermarket