Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

SiriusXM radio....looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SiriusXM radio....looking for advice

I have a 97 f-150 and i'd like to incorporate an XM radio without a lot of fuss. I would like to use the radio in the truck and garage, that is, I wondered if anyone here has used and recommends a portable unit so I can just plop it into the wall socket and listen in my garage through the tuner there. This way, I don't have to subscribe to multiple plans and pay extra $. Any ideas would be richly appreciated. -G
Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

G-Go to the SiriusXM web site and they have multiple portable radios for sale there or check your local Craigs List for a used one. You will probably have to add a speaker and 12v dc supply to use in the garage as well as having the antenna that can see the sky. I personally use an old XM "roadie" radio and move it from vehicle to vehicle using the lighter cord for 12v. It has an FM transmitter that plays through the vehicle radio. It saves a bunch on money especially when on a $20/5 month plan or a $25/6month plan. Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
big-o (03-22-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get the Sirius Onyx or Onyx plus with a car kit for around $75 on Amazon and other vendors. The subscription is tied to the actual unit and additional kits for boats, home etc. run about $30 and you can move the radio around with you so only one subscription fee. I had an Onyx car kit and a home kit and it worked great.

I would recommend though, if your head unit has line in in the back use that versus the FM modulator, it sounds better in most cases. (The modulator isn't bad though)
Old 03-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^^ I have this one that I use in my patrol car while im working and when I'm at my beach house ^^^^
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

x2 on the onyx...i got that way back in 2011 for my ranger...i love it

Quick Reply: SiriusXM radio....looking for advice