Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Rocker Switch Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Rocker Switch Help!!

I have an '03 SuperCrew FX4 and i am trying to hook up a 3 leg LED rocker switch to turn my subs on an off. I know one leg goes to ground an the other to the battery but how would I hook up the 3rd leg that goes to the load?! would I hook it up to my remote wire from my radio to amp somehow? here is a pic I found of how to hook it up. do I need an inline fuse to hook it up like in the picture? Any an all input is appreciated! Also any ideas to where I should place the switch? I was thinking somewhere by the 4x4 switch.
Attached Thumbnails Rocker Switch Help!!-image-3768322104.jpg   Rocker Switch Help!!-image-3111958381.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If one looks different then the others, that should be the ground. The other two are for the power. One goes to your accessory (amp in your case) the other goes to power source. Fuses are always recommened if you are going direct from the battery. If you are tapping into another 12v source, it should already be fused, but still a good idea to add one in case something happens between your amp and the tap.

As for mounting the switch, totaly up to you. In my 06, I just mounted it inside the centre console. I have seen some mounted next the the cig lighter that looked pretty good.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cobymedic
If one looks different then the others, that should be the ground. The other two are for the power. One goes to your accessory (amp in your case) the other goes to power source. Fuses are always recommened if you are going direct from the battery. If you are tapping into another 12v source, it should already be fused, but still a good idea to add one in case something happens between your amp and the tap.

As for mounting the switch, totaly up to you. In my 06, I just mounted it inside the centre console. I have seen some mounted next the the cig lighter that looked pretty good.
I have the switch in my hand an the legs are labeled ground, power an accessory. how would I wire it to my amp? someone told me I could cut my remote wire. connect one side of the wire to the accessory leg and the other side the wire to the power leg then just run the ground normally. does it sound like that would work in anyway? since the remote wire tells the amp when to turn on an off and there is a fuse in the back of the radio? if that doesn't sound like it would work any ideas how to hook it up? with the fuse inline too

I think im going to mount it a few inches to the left of my 4x4 switch. inbetween my 4x4 switch an steering wheel
Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, if you already have the remote wire hooked up just cut it and hook the amp side up to the "acs"'prong and the other side to the power source. Then just ground it to a good ground. Just make to disconnect the battery or power source before doing any cutting, dont want to accidently fry anything.

All pretty straight forward, once your figure it out.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cobymedic
Yup, if you already have the remote wire hooked up just cut it and hook the amp side up to the "acs"'prong and the other side to the power source. Then just ground it to a good ground. Just make to disconnect the battery or power source before doing any cutting, dont want to accidently fry anything.

All pretty straight forward, once your figure it out.
Thats what I thought, ive been workin with electeonics for the past 4-5 yrs an I just like to double check before I hook anything up you know.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Try this exercise before any actual hands on........http://www.engineeringinteract.org/r...lecircuits.htm
Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2nd150
Try this exercise before any actual hands on........http://www.engineeringinteract.org/r...lecircuits.htm
I tried opening it up an it's just a black screen

Quick Reply: Rocker Switch Help!!