Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Replacing stock speakers and not as loud?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing stock speakers and not as loud?

im not ready to go with amplified components just yet so i just replaced my stock fronts with some infinity kappas that i had laying around. i replaced the driver side door speaker first and was comparing the kappa with the stock on the other side. the weird thing was, the stock side seemed louder? i know its not amped but i figured the kappa would be at least just as loud but just clearer sounding.. it does sound more clear though.. the song i was listening to had a lot of saxophone in it and the saxophone was definitely louder from the stock side.. is there a reason why? i thought maybe the audio just had the saxophone going to that channel more?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock speakers are designed to work off the puny power from the stock stereo and have a very high sensitivity. The Kappas really want an amp and will sound light years better than the stock speakers if you give them one. Add a sub as well and the difference will be night and day from stock.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Yeah. I'm going to install a jl 10w3 this week. Plan on amping the rest eventually. Just dont want to fork out the cash right now for components and what not. So do you think it's just better leaving the stockers in for now until I run an amp?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Cant Stop Wont Stop

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The same thing happened to me, aye. My stock speakers had a bit of a decent bass tone but weren't loud at all, plus I did have a kenwood deck powering them. So I too replaced the stock door speakers with some Kappa's, 6.5's in front and 6x9's in rear. I actually lost a lot of the "bass" tone but they did sound a bit louder and clearer, tho.

Which reminds me, I need to start a thread cuz I'm about to amp them.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in my driver side front Infinity Kappa last night. (already have 2 installed in the back and a sub, sub is amped, doors are off the HU) At the same power level when you fade the balance between left and right the stock will sound louder. However, I only had time to put in the driver side, what i found was if I faded to the driver side front (infinity Kapa) and turned the volume up the speaker really came alive, when I turned the volume down, faded to the front passenger side (stock) turned the volume up it sounded about the same at low volume than at higher volume sounded bad. I notice driving this morning that the passenger door speaker was distorting pretty bad, I thought it was just muddy bass before, but with only the one stock left it is obvious it was coming from the stock speaker and the rest of the system sounded much cleaner.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Yeah I only had time for one as well. I'm going to go ahead and put the rest in. I'm sure it will be better for the time being.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock speakers and not as loud?