Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Replacing Factory Components

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Factory Components

I am replacing my front speakers with Pioneer 6.5" components. I believe the factory radio crosses the speakers over, is that correct? Does that mean I should not use the crossovers that come with the new speakers?

TS-D1720C

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Tort Feasor

I'll try to answer this, but there is probably someone more knowledgeable on here. The crossover that comes with the pioneers divides the mids and highs between the woofer and the tweeter to get the best sound possible. Since on the stock speaker the woofer and tweeter are on the same unit, no external crossover is needed (this is assuming you don't have the fancy audiophile package from Ford, about which I am clueless). Therefore, you'll need the crossover for the pioneers, and from what I've heard, you want to be very careful about where you mount it. To really hear a huge difference, an amplifier would really make those speakers come alive. What I would do is get an amplifier, mount the crossovers right next to it, then run two speaker wires to each door. That's a ton of work but if you're like me, it's kinda enjoyable, and probably worth it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Stock Config

I apologize, I should have included more info, I do have the audiophile system.

On your other note, I am going to see how they sound w/ out an amp. Hopefully it is ok for a while. I am on a limited budget due to the holidays!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Factory Crossover

Is on the 6x8 speakers, Pioneer crossover needed
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, the audiophile head unit high passes the signal coming from the head unit, but the actual component xover is on the mid as you said.

I'm sure you'll like those Pioneers since they're the same as my TS-D720C's, they sound even better with 100W RMS a piece.

Quick Reply: Replacing Factory Components